Interview Tips: Answering the Hard Questions

Posted by on September 12, 2016

In one of the PD 200 classes (professional development), a student asked why they have to answer interview questions like: “Why should I hire you for this job?”  She thought that since her resume’ was clear and she’s already in the interview questions like that are redundant.

I assured her that since she was in her first quarter, she Interviewmight be able to answer that question now, but I promised her that by the time she was ready to graduate she would be able to answer that question and a lot more.

It made me think all of the things our Career Services Department does for our students.

Answering those questions are difficult, but in the Career Services Department, we can help you with a few simple tips!

• Breathe! You already know the answers to all of the questions they are going to ask you. You are the best person to answer questions about you.
  • Count to 10 before you answer. It gives you time to formulate the answer in your head before it comes out all jumbled.
  • Remember your skills. You have gone through many classes, learned many things, joined associations and participated in discussions. You know what you know!
  • Always make your strengths strong and your weaknesses something you can overcome.
  • When asked a question like “Why should I hire you” remember they want to know about the things that aren’t on your resume. Things like, I value team work, direct communication, creativity or a work experience that sets you apart from your peers are perfect for this question.

These are just a few of the lessons students at Globe University & Minnesota School of Business can learn by visiting the Career Services Department.

As Shannon Templin, Director of Career Services at the St. Cloud Campus, says, “We put the CARE in Career Services!”