Student Spotlight: Making the Decision to Return to College

Posted by on September 22, 2015

When I graduated from high school in 2009, I wasn’t sure what I wanted to do with my life. My family never pushed me to make a decision. I made the last-minute choice to enroll in community college. After two years and receiving my associate degree in general studies, I still didn’t feel a sense of accomplishment. After taking a couple of years off from school and working full-time, I decided I was ready to go back to school.

During the two years I had taken off of school I was given the opportunity to become a manager. This was a huge step since I have never had a position where I displayed leadership. Transitioning was very tough at the time since we were short-staffed, and I had never taken a class on management. I would say it took about six months for me to adjust and feel comfortable in my new position.

Once I felt I had control of my job I was encouraged by co-workers, friends and family to go back to school. I met with an admission representative at Minnesota School of Business-Plymouth which was very helpful. I still questioned what I wanted to do with my life, and was afraid I wouldn’t chose the right path. During my visit I was able look through the different majors and what types of careers you would qualify for once graduated.

I started my first quarter at Minnesota School of Business in January of 2015 in the Bachelor’s of Business Administration program. This program is very broad and gives many different career opportunities after graduation. I still continue to work full-time and go to school full-time. I choose to take online courses to fit around my busy schedule. I am able to relate my classes more and more each quarter to my current job, which makes the classes more enjoyable and easy to understand. All of my professors have been great communicators, fair graders, and extremely helpful.

I am starting to feel a sense of accomplishment as I continue my journey with Minnesota School of Business. I am motivated to stay busy, focused and learn new information every day! It does not matter if you are unsure what you want to do with your life, when you are ready to continue your education the Minnesota School of Business staff will make you feel welcome.

At times it can be tough having a busy work week with projects due the same week, but I have never been happier with my decision. I would not be where I am without the support of my family, friends, co-workers and the Minnesota School of Business staff.

Written by Afton Starr, Front Desk Assistant at the Minnesota School of Cosmetology in Plymouth.