Meet Your New Career Services Coordinator

Kristina George started at the Minnesota School of Business-St. Cloud campus in April of this year. She quickly impressed Shannon Templin, director of career services, who chose her based on “student advising experience and exhibited essential leadership and management skills that can place Kristina in the role of a mentor to our students. In addition, her Masters in English is a huge asset to our department.”

Now that she is getting settled in her position, it is time for her students and coworkers to get to know her.

Tell us about your educational and professional background:

I have a BA in English from the College of St. Benedict and a Master’s in English Studies with a Literature and Composition focus from St. Cloud State.  In the years between my BA and my MA I worked as an HR manager for Marshall Fields (now Macy’s), the HR manager for Barnes and Noble, a Selling and Training Manager for Herberger’s, and the Community Relations Manager for the American Cancer Society.

Why did you choose to work at MSB?

With my MA in English I wanted to work in an education setting. The small class sizes and the role career services plays in the education and employment process seemed like the perfect blend of my desire to teach and my past work experience.

What do you enjoy most about your job?

Kristina George, career services coordinator

Well, working with Shannon is a hoot! Most days it doesn’t feel like work at all. I like being in the classroom and I really love the one- on-one time I spend with the students. I know it sounds super corny, but I like the idea of having an impact on a student’s life…helping them in the classroom or helping them find the perfect job, or lifting their confidence, it all makes a difference. That is the best part of this job.

What do you enjoy doing in your spare time?

I am a total nerd in my spare time, and probably in my work time as well. I read biographies of people like Benjamin Franklin, Thomas Jefferson, Abraham Lincoln, BUT I have also read the Harry Potter series so many times that the binding is breaking on my copies. I have been known to binge watch all five seasons of Alias in one weekend. I have two nieces and two nephews who pretty much rule my world. I spend most of my free time trying to think of ways to be the cool aunt. It usually turns out that I am the nerdy aunt!

What is an interesting fact about you?

On June 14th I presented a paper about Charlotte Perkins Gilman’s “The Yellow Wallpaper” at a conference that was held at Harvard University. I wrote the paper during my master’s program about the connections between early prison systems and asylums for the mentally ill and how they relate to a piece of biographical fiction. Gilman’s story is about a woman who is suffering a nervous breakdown and is isolated from her social group and placed in a room with Yellow Wallpaper. The longer she is there, the faster her mental health declines and her journal entries become evidence of her deterioration.

What is your guilty pleasure?

I am pretty open about my nerdiness, but I can’t deny my love for Twilight (insert groan here), 80’s & 90’s karaoke music, and movies with Will Ferrell. Also, I have a pretty impressive rubber ducky collection in my office. They change with the seasons.

What advice do you have for students?  (Nearing graduation and just starting school)

Focus on your studies. Getting the most of your education will only help you in your future. Embrace the things that are uniquely you. Those are the things that will make you interesting to a potential employer. Take the initiative to get what you want. No one is going to hand you your dreams. Also, stop by the career services department early and often!