Faculty Spotlight: Jessica Ostendorf, Veterinary Technology Program Chair

Posted by on March 30, 2015

A friend to all creatures great and small, Jessica Ostendorf has brought a wealth of experience to the veterinary technology program at Minnesota School of Business-St. Cloud.

minnesota school of business vet tech program

Jessica Ostendorf, veterinary technology program chair

By bringing real-world understanding into the classroom, Ostendorf is able to connect with the students. The students gather a greater interest and appreciation for the veterinary technology field.

It’s time to get to know Jessica Ostendorf. What makes her tick? What motivates her?

What is your background?

I graduated from Argosy University in 2006 with an Associate of Applied Science degree in Veterinary Technology. I became certified that same year, and I started working a full-time position in a very busy small animal practice in the St. Cloud area.

I began teaching as an adjunct instructor for Minnesota School of Business (MSB) in St. Cloud in January of 2011, teaching 1-2 classes per quarter while still working full time in practice. In January of 2012, I became a full-time instructor at MSB and made the difficult decision to leave the practice that I had been working at for six years. In August of 2014, I became the veterinary technology program chair and now split my time between the classroom, various administrative duties and student advising.

Why did you choose to teach?

After working several years in a very fast paced, advanced veterinary practice, I was starting to feel that I needed a new way to challenge myself as a certified veterinary technician. I had already been involved with MSB through representing my clinic at the PAC meetings and career fairs, and I felt that teaching could fulfill that need I had for a new professional challenge. I fell in love with teaching and have since made veterinary technology education my main focus in the field.

What motivates you?

I am motivated by the passion our students have to learn and to be successful veterinary technicians. I am very passionate about this career field myself, so it is really motivating for me to see our students share that same passion and go on to do great things in the field, providing both excellent client service and veterinary care to the many animals they work with. I am very proud to be a part of an excellent team that has helped so many students find success and help advance the field of veterinary technology.

What’s your biggest challenge?

My biggest challenge is finding time to do everything I want to do! I have so many personal and professional aspirations, and I sometimes need to remind myself to just slow down and enjoy the ride. One of my next aspirations is to obtain a veterinary technician specialty in education. But, I have to be patient, as this new specialty training program is still in the process of being created.

What are your goals for the year?

My biggest goal for the year is to lead a successful 1st annual Bark for Life event in St. Cloud! We are hoping to get a lot of families and their dogs to come down to Wilson Park on May 2 to raise money for the American Cancer Society and promote the special bond between humans and animals. Our goal is to help make more birthdays possible for all those who are affected by cancer. Our wonderful Student Chapter of the National Association of Veterinary Technicians in America (SCNAVTA) members are already helping to raise money for this cause and recently made our first $200 donation!

programsprograms-vet-tech