Minnesota School of Business Students Leave Great Impression at DECA Conference

Posted by on March 23, 2015

Minnesota School of Business (MSB)-Blaine students left the Minnesota Collegiate DECA Career Development Conference with a sense of pride and accomplishment. This is the sixth year in a row that 100 percent of their competitors qualified to compete and attend the International Career Development Conference being held in Orlando, Florida.

Current students and alumni with Catherine Rice, MSB-Blaine accounting program chair and DECA advisor

Two of the students are no stranger to competition. Both Angel’yn Franzman, MSB business program graduate, and Keenan Gunderson, business program student, are repeat state finalists and this year they were joined by two first time competitors, Andrew Birr, business program student, and Jordan Hoiby, information technology program student. They were also joined by former students Breanne Nelson, Jennifer Senger and Josh Nelson serving on the other side of the competition as judges and event staff.

The competitive events portion of the leadership conference puts the students in real-life presentation situations and scenarios, which place the students in situations where they have to be able to think on their feet to adequately express their rationale and offer support for why the project plan or their recommendations should be accepted.

They also have the option of participating in a “pick up” competitive case study event with a team of their choosing within that discipline’s academy. It can be comprised of anyone from any school that is in attendance. The Academy brings leaders in that field to speak to the students frankly about what is trending in their chosen field at the present time, and what things they need to know to have a competitive advantage over other graduates. The academies the students attended were Marketing and Management.

The results from the actual competitive events are as follows:

Angel’yn Franzman – 1st Place Marketing Management, 1st Place Project Management, 1st Place Marketing Academy

Keenan Gunderson – Finalist Marketing Management

Andrew Birr – Finalist Marketing Management

Jordan Hoiby – 2nd Place Project Management

Catherine Rice, accounting program chair and DECA advisor for MSB-Blaine, was presented with the advisor of the year award at the conference. The award was based on a nomination from MSB-Blaine graduate Breanne Nelson. An excerpt from the nomination read, “I have seen myself grow and turn into someone that I never imagined. Because of [Kate’s] pushing me and guiding me, I am the best version of myself. She has instilled an immense amount of confidence within me that without this organization (DECA) and her (Kate), I wouldn’t have.”