Student Spotlight: Business Administration Student Turns Internship Into Job

Posted by on March 5, 2015

Minnesota School of Business-Lakeville (MSB) student Melissa Shelton worked as a hairstylist for the past 12 years and has a lot of experience working in the business field, but she wanted to explore options outside of the hair industry. Her husband owns the Pizza Man in Eagan, and one day she realized that going back to school could help her “gain some insight on how to help the store grow to be more successful.” As a result, Melissa chose an AAS degree in Business Administration at MSB-Lakeville because there is a wide range of jobs for which she could qualify.

Melissa recently completed a paid internship at Medical Products Resource (MPR), which is a medical supply company in Burnsville that manufactures and sells orthopedic, arthroscopy and medical/surgical products that are sold to hospitals.

Upon completion of her internship, MPR hired Melissa. At MPR, she has had the opportunity to conduct marketing research on products that MPR carries. She also researches MPR’s competitors and gathers related data to compile in Excel spreadsheets to illustrate her findings.

“I am sorting thousands of accounts so that the information is current and the accounts can be called on for prospective clients. I have also made pamphlets and brochures for products that are being shipped out with the product description and related products,” Melissa said.

In her time at MSB, Melissa participated in a service learning project for Professional Communications I where the class helped The Union Gospel Mission in St. Paul, which works with the homeless and those struggling with poverty and/or substance abuse addiction.

“Our class helped bring awareness to Frogtown’s Daily Diner which provides employment opportunities to those who are on their way to recovery.”

For Customer Service Strategies, her class went to the Apple Valley Goodwill to assist with sorting and organizing clothes. “We received inside knowledge on how the Goodwill operates as a business,” Melissa said of the visit.

“What I like most about going to MSB is that the instructors are very involved with and care about their students. I love the smaller class sizes,” Melissa said. “MSB prepared me for working in a professional business setting. They helped me with my communication skills, writing, organization and, most importantly, showed me how to be a professional.”

program-business-degree