Software Application Development Student Finds Fulfilling Career Path at Minnesota School of Business

Posted by on March 3, 2015

After attending another college and realizing he wasn’t passionate about a culinary career, Peter Finbraaten chose to enroll at Minnesota School of Business (MSB)-St. Cloud to earn his Associate of Applied Science degree in IT.

“After working in the field for a year, I wanted to go back to get my B.S.,” says Peter. “When I was checking out MSB for the second time, I found they had added the software application development program. Being that I had already been interested in learning to become a mobile developer, I signed up for that program right away.”

Peter says it was also the perfect time to go back because he qualified for educational assistance from his employer, where he works at an Internet support help desk.

“MSB is … accommodating to my needs, like being able to take night classes, so I can work during the day,” says Peter.

Peter also appreciates that his program is up-to-date with real-world industry standards, and the instructors are knowledgeable in their fields.

“In the software app development program, we get to discover how to build apps for the mobile platform. My favorite part about it is being on the forefront of internet technologies,” he says. “I enjoy learning from many of my instructors at MSB. They … bring more to the table then what you learn from a textbook.”

In addition to helpful instructors, Peter says all the staff on campus have contributed to his success.

“MSB has an amazing career services department,” he says. “Even before I graduated … they helped me with job searching and interviewing. They helped me get a job right out of school.”

Peter says he’s finally found a career path he enjoys and hopes to excel in the industry in the future.

“Once I’m done with school this time around, I plan to find an even more rewarding job developing mobile apps,” Peter explains. “Whether it’s working for another company or for myself, I think creating mobile apps would not only be exciting, but also fulfilling, knowing that I’m also creating experiences for other people to enjoy.”

Visit the Minnesota School of Business software application development program page to learn more.