MSB Game and Application Development Alumni Offer Students Advice

Posted by on February 25, 2015

Written by Diana Welter, associate director of career services

What did you do for lunch today? Recently, I had the chance to eat pizza and chat with Minnesota School of Business-Richfield (MSB) game and application development bachelor’s degree alumni, Jared Stallings and Drew (Andrew) Buchanan. I got to hear what it is like to be a game designer and how they landed their new jobs. The alumni visited us as part of a Lunch & Learn series. The room was packed for their discussion.

Drew Buchanan, game and application development grad

After Drew and Jared told us about their jobs and explained their job duties, they enlightened us about the interview process, which was significantly different for each of them. Drew interviewed the day of graduation (a Friday), immediately got hired, then started the following Monday. Jared’s process was longer. He interviewed with a panel, took a test, and then waited for an offer.

The participants were encouraged to ask questions: what makes a good resume, what is a day on the job like, what pointers improve interviews, and what advice could be given to secure a position in the gaming industry.

Questions asked by students included:

What role do you play on projects?

Drew: “We all have parts that we play on a project; I try to learn about different areas because ‘there is no useless knowledge, and you will always find a way to use the knowledge you gain.’”

This is a good testament to understanding why you have to take different classes to earn an associate or bachelor’s degree. Drew also stated, “I enjoyed the variety of questions that I was asked as they kept me on my toes and made the experience much more enjoyable.”

What do you do to prepare for an interview?

Jared Stallings, game and application development grad

Jared: “I over-prepare for an interview. I find a bunch of crazy interview questions and try to answer them because even though they may not ask them, I still have practiced my critical thinking skills, which are really important in my field.”

What advice would you give someone looking for a position in the game design field?

Both Jared and Drew agreed: Have a great portfolio that can be shown, along with a finished project in your portfolio.

The event turned out to be a great success with students taking away some stellar advice that will help them in their pursuits of careers in game and application development.

Another Lunch & Learn is already being planned for a different program. Stay tuned!.