Minnesota School of Business-Rochester’s Gatekeeper: Business Grad Sarah Peterson

Posted by on February 13, 2015

Sarah Peterson, Minnesota School of Business (MSB)-Rochester’s administrative assistant and alumna, was asked to share her experience as a student at MSB’s new student orientation. Sarah was very excited to discuss her time at MSB, where she earned her associate degree in business administration. Incoming students found her speech to be very motivating.

We’ve included Sarah’s speech to MSB’s new students below.

MSB graduate Sarah Peterson

“My higher education search began with a postcard addressed to me from MSB in 2006. I didn’t go on to college after high school. I wasn’t sure what I wanted to do, and I didn’t want to waste my time or money on something I wasn’t sure of.

I moved out at 18 and was in the working world for six years before I decided that I needed a change. I was in a dead end job. I had no opportunities to advance or grow. I needed a break, an opening for me to expand my knowledge and be better. Looking at that postcard, it didn’t take me long to know what I had to do. So I called MSB and set up an appointment.

I played around with the idea of getting into graphic design or marketing, but ultimately, my admissions rep encouraged me to look into business. I already had a business background — I enjoyed working at a front desk for a local business. I signed up to begin classes the following quarter.

Oh boy! Let me tell you, I was so anxious, overwhelmed and excited! This was a stepping stone to a bigger, better me. This was my future! This would give me so much potential!

I began my classes in the Winter Quarter of 2007. I was scared. I didn’t know what to expect. I felt old; going to back to school at 24? I had been out of school for so long I didn’t think I could do it. I had to discipline myself and remind myself over and over that the outcome will be great. All the hard work would be worth it. This is what I want!

I will tell you this now. You will have moments during your time here when you just want to give up. I’ve had plenty of these. You will get frustrated. You will say ‘I can’t do it.’ ‘I don’t want to do this,’ whatever the excuse. But I will tell you this as well — don’t give up. Please. You decided to go back to school for a reason. Whatever it is, your reason is important to you. Stay positive. Stay focused. Hard work and challenges build character. Through this experience I got to know myself, and what I could do.

I always loved MSB. I didn’t think about any other colleges because MSB had all the necessities that fit my wants and needs. Small campus, small class sizes, experienced and helpful instructors. And MSB had program-specific degrees.

I graduated in the spring of 2009. I did advance and now I am here, working. I absolutely love it! It is great to interact with students and staff, some that have once taught me. I speak for everyone here when I say that we are here to help you succeed in any and every way possible. You can do this! You are stronger and smarter than you think, and in the end, when you see that light, you will be so proud of yourself.”

Sarah champions the education MSB provides by showing in her professionalism and demeanor what it means to be a graduate of Minnesota School of Business.

“Sarah has been a joy to work with. Her professionalism and enthusiasm always serves to elevate my mood and eagerness to work. Most importantly, she exudes our mission of ‘We Care’ in her interaction with students at the front desk. They rely on her for involvement and the help she provides — because she cares,” instructor Carol Berteotti said.

MSB-Rochester is very lucky to have a reliable gatekeeper like Sarah.