Student Spotlight: Vet Tech Program Student Claire Falvey-Sander

Posted by on February 3, 2015

Claire Falvey-Sander is one of the Minnesota School of Business-Plymouth (MSB) Fall 2014 Community Service Scholarship recipients. Claire is in her second quarter as a veterinary technology student. Claire is a full-time student, works part time in the program field at a doggie daycare and volunteers almost every Sunday for four hours. She plans on volunteering more once the weather starts to warm up.

Claire is an active volunteer at the Minnesota Wildlife Rehabilitation Center in St. Paul. The center sees a variety of wild animals in need of rehabilitation after a tragic event in their life. She started out working in the avian nursery that cares for baby songbirds, crows and pigeons. She said in her essay, “Watching an injured loon eat his first minnow in days was one of the most rewarding experiences of my life.”

Claire has since moved up to the animal care crew. Their duties are to feed and maintain the enclosures of all the animals at the WRC for not only the avian nursery but the waterfowl and mammals too. In her essay she goes on to say, “The experiences I have had at WRC are what inspired me to enter the veterinary technology program at Minnesota School of Business. I enjoy my work there, and it has sparked in me a desire to learn as much as I can about animals.”

The Community Service Scholarship is a great opportunity to get paid for giving back to your community. MSB loves to reward students who not only make school a priority in their lives but make giving back a priority too. The scholarship is $2,000 that helps pay for a portion of your schooling cost. The best parts are you get to give back to your community, get to put the experience on your resume, potentially get a scholarship for doing so, and feel good about what you did.