MSB-Blaine Staff Spotlight: Shaun Lis, Admissions Representative

Posted by on January 28, 2015

Shaun Lis began working as an admissions representative for Minnesota School of Business-Blaine (MSB) in August 2014. As someone who sits near him in, what I lovingly refer to as, “cube land,” I have the opportunity to talk with Shaun on an almost daily basis. I wanted to learn more about Shaun, so I, of course, asked him a bunch of questions.

Tell me about your educational and professional background.

Shaun Lis, admissions representative at MSB-Blaine

I got my Associate in Arts degree from Anoka-Ramsey Community College. From there, I transferred to the University of Minnesota, where I completed my Bachelor of Arts in Psychology, with a Minor in American Indian Studies. Much of my professional life has been spent as a server and bartender, but I’ve always envisioned myself working in an educational setting.

Why did you choose to work at MSB?

It was a great way for me to enter into the field of education. Throughout the interview process, I was drawn in by the “We Care” philosophy, and it really struck a chord with me!

What do you enjoy most about your job?

I enjoy seeing the ways that getting an education can positively affect people’s lives. I haven’t been doing this for all that long, but I’ve heard so many success stories already! My hope is that I’ll be able to contribute to these success stories in the future.

What do you enjoy doing in your spare time?

I’m a huge sports fan, and I especially enjoy football. I enjoy watching all Minnesota sports teams, even though it can be difficult at times! I play softball, flag football and basketball in recreational leagues throughout the year. I also consider myself to be quite the movie buff, and approximately a quarter of what I say in casual conversation is a movie quote that no one else seems to know.

What is an interesting fact about you?

I have a small amount of Native American heritage on my Mom’s side. I’m an eighth Ojibwa, and I have always been fascinated with the histories and cultures of Native American peoples. There are over 560 federally-recognized tribes in the U.S., and all of them have their own unique stories.

What is your guilty pleasure?

I have a huge sweet tooth, so I’d have to say chocolate is my biggest guilty pleasure.

What advice do you have for new students?

The best advice I can give to new students is to ask for help when you need it. I spent a lot of time throughout my college experience trying to figure things out on my own when it would have been a lot easier to ask someone. Even if it seems like it should be obvious, don’t shy away from asking. There will always be someone who has an answer, or can help to find an answer. For all you know, there may be others who are wondering about the same thing.

What advice do you have for students nearing graduation?

Use your career services department as much as you possibly can. There is so much they can do to help both before and after graduation. I wish I had taken advantage of those resources more while I was in school, so learn from my mistakes.

If you see Shaun around campus, be sure to say ‘hello’!

Thanks Shaun! See you in “cube land!”