MSB-Blaine Staff Spotlight: Paul Pederson, Information Technology Program Chair

Posted by on January 28, 2015

For the past several years, Paul Pederson has worked for Minnesota School of Business-Blaine (MSB) as an adjunct instructor, teaching various courses within the information technology program. Very recently, Paul accepted the position of information technology program chair, which oversees the database, computer literacy, software development, networking, and information technology classes we offer at MSB-Blaine. It’s a big job, and Paul is just the person suited to tackle it. Read on to find out more about Paul. He has a very interesting background!

Paul Pederson, information technology program chair at MSB-Blaine

Tell me about your educational and professional background.

I have a Master of Science degree in Computer Engineering from Boston University. I have taught as an adjunct instructor at MSB for a little over three years. I have also taught at St. Paul College and the University of Minnesota.

I have been a principal software developer at Sabre Airlines Solutions for about 12 years. Prior to that, I worked at a consulting company, at Northwest Airlines, at a division of DuPont and at Digital Equipment Corporation.

My main focus these days at Sabre is in the creation of a worldwide flight travel database that is used by airline planners, airline manufacturers, airports and other travel-related industries. Knowing that this information is helping people within the industry to plan for the future is an awesome responsibility.

Why did you begin teaching?

A friend of mine was teaching at a university and recommended that I give it a go. It has been such a satisfying and rewarding experience over the years. I’m glad that he urged me to do it.

What is an interesting fact about you?

I have been in several bands over the years. Did some nice shows; opened for some major tours.

What is your guilty pleasure?

Lying in a hammock on a sandy beach on a warm Minnesota summer day.

What do you enjoy doing in your spare time?

I don’t have much spare time these days, but I do enjoy attending performances of the Minnesota Orchestra, as well as the occasional visit to a live theater.

What advice do you have for new students?

Know that what you are doing will have a positive impact on your life, as well as your loved ones, and the people you will enjoy working with in the future.

What advice do you have for students nearing graduation?

Congratulations! You are nearly there, so cross that finish line, and enjoy what is in store for you in your future.

If you see Paul around campus, be sure to say ‘hello’!