MSB-Blaine Staff Spotlight: Career Services Coordinator Jessica Ayub

Posted by on January 28, 2015

Jessica Ayub, LPC, GCDF is one of the newer members of the team at Minnesota School of Business-Blaine. As the career services coordinator, Jessica works with students and graduates to prepare for and obtain work in their career fields.

Jessica Ayub, LPC, GCDF, career services coordinator at MSB-Blaine

“Like so many of our current and former students, I started back to college as a nontraditional student after a first career that was successful but not as satisfactory as finding the right career field. After 10 years in marketing and communications, I took time off with my three boys to share extra time during their younger years,” Jessica said.

She continued, “After re-entering the workforce, I supported recruiters and senior career counselors for the HR department, talent acquisition, at Fairview Health Services, which is Minnesota’s second largest healthcare system with 20,000 employees. Since 2008, I have worked in varied career services positions at nearby institutions, including Minnesota State Colleges and Universities (MnSCU) campuses and Concordia University-Saint Paul.”

“During eight years of education (wow, I know, it took me a few tries), I completed my Associate degree in Business Management. Then I received a bachelor’s in human resources management, and finally, I acquired a master’s degree in counseling psychology. I then earned credentials as a Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC) registered with the State of Minnesota, Board of Behavioral Health and Therapy,” Jessica added. “I am ready for a break from taking classes, but I feel like I’m ‘still in school’ since, now I teach them! These different experiences have given me the experience necessary to best assist our students and graduates with a variety of educational and career needs.”

When asked what she enjoys doing in her spare time, Jessica said, “Having fun with my children and husband and visiting family in Minnesota, along with retired parents in Wisconsin’s lakes and bear country. Also, I love, love, love reading! I also loveLinkedIn and Twitter.”

Jessica has some great advice for students new to the college experience, as well as new to MSB:

Come see us in career services early and often! Know that just like Melissa Young, our director, and Jessie Karnis, our career services assistant, I blend a passionate and genuine concern, both personally and in collaboration with our campus staff and faculty, to nurture the personal growth of those around us. Not only is it a joy, but I am grateful to share a part in the support of our students and graduates as they seek hoped for accomplishments.”

She also has advice for students nearing graduation:

“Look for the unexpected and be open to embracing the five attitudes of Planned Happenstance, which are:

Curiosity: Exploring new opportunities
Persistence: Exerting effort despite setbacks
Flexibility: Changing attitudes and circumstances
Optimism: Viewing new opportunities as possible and attainable
Risk Taking: Taking on career decisions in the face of uncertain outcomes”

Be sure to to say ‘hello’ to Jessica when you see her around campus. Thanks, Jessica!