MSB-Blaine Staff Spotlight: Mary Thury, DVM

Posted by on January 27, 2015

Dr. Mary Thury serves as the resident veterinarian for Minnesota School of Business-Blaine (MSB). I wanted to know more about Dr. Thury, so I did what anyone would do … I asked her! Read on to learn more about our new resident veterinarian (her guilty pleasure is my favorite!).

Mary Thury, DVM and resident veterinarian at MSB-Blaine with her dogs, Manny and Chester

Tell me about your educational and professional background.

I graduated from the University of Minnesota College of Veterinary Medicine in 2003, earning my Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM) degree on top of my Bachelor’s degree in Veterinary Science. Since then, I have spent my professional years working in small animal clinical practice, animal shelter medicine and surgery, and also teaching, performing surgery, and as resident veterinarian for MSB. In addition to teaching, my current passions/specialty areas in the field include natural nutrition, holistic medicine and homeopathy.  I am currently undertaking a self-paced, distance learning program in homeopathic medicine.

Why did you begin teaching?

One of my many teenage aspirations was to teach, and teaching owners of pets (i.e., client education) has always been one of my favorite aspects of clinical practice. When I first joined MSB in the role of resident veterinarian, I was excited to discover that it was possible to find a perfect balance of teaching and practicing veterinary medicine. Teaching veterinary technology program students is such a satisfying enterprise, because I am able to both wield my influence on how students care for animals, as well as help students achieve their personal and professional dreams.

What do you enjoy doing in your spare time?

I am an avid soccer player—I have played since I was five years old, and it is by far my most favorite pastime. I think the team aspect of play, as well as the vigorous physical exercise it provides, are why I have kept playing (and will continue to play) all these years.  Other enjoyable activities for me include reading (mostly nonfiction), hiking, playing with my family and dogs, and absolutely anything outdoors.

What advice do you have for new students?

For students entering the veterinary technology program, and particularly those at MSB-Blaine, I would like to emphasize that while our instructors will bend over backwards to help you achieve your greatest academic and professional desires, we expect the same dedication and commitment from you—for yourself. Each person has within them the power to be or do whatever s/he wants—it’s a matter of belief (in yourself) and of drive (to succeed). Where there’s a will, there’s a way.

What advice do you have for students nearing graduation?

Keep learning! You can’t really avoid it, of course. Follow your interests wherever they lead—trust in yourself when you’re driven toward ongoing self-improvement in your career and in your life. You won’t lead yourself astray—your interests and passions are there because they’re supposed to lead you to become the next person you want to be (which is always your best self).

What is an interesting fact about you?

This may or may not be interesting to all, but I happen to be a person with a lifetime history of being staunchly logical, rational, and very scientific-minded who has only recently (i.e., over the past few years) made a gradual transition to viewing life and science through a much more holistic and spiritual (as in nonmaterial) lens. I think my younger self would be a bit surprised about this change.

What is your guilty pleasure?

Watching previously-aired episodes of “The Daily Show with Jon Stewart” and “The Colbert Report” and the new “The Nightly Show with Larry Wilmore”—my husband doesn’t particularly like those shows and it’s not appropriate viewing for my young kids, so I have to sneak it when I can!

What do you enjoy most about your job?

The people! Wherever I go and whatever I do, I derive great pleasure from interacting with colleagues, staff, clients, friends, strangers, cashiers, etc. Everyone has something to teach me, in one way or another, just as I can teach others about what they need to know at a given time. Interpersonal communication is hands-down the most important aspect of being a happy human, at work or at play.

If you see Mary around campus, be sure to say ‘hi’ and welcome her to our team! Thanks Mary!