Student Spotlight: 5 Things about Hailey Huizenga

Posted by on December 17, 2014

Hailey Huizenga is just completing her last quarter in earning her associate degree in business administration at the Minnesota School of

hailey1Hailey shared an attitude of “always trying to learn and grow,” and is looking forward to applying the knowledge and skills gained during her time at MSB.

Top 5 Things to Know about Hailey

1. Hailey would like to be an entrepreneur with her own business or a store manager. She is open to new experiences and still “entertaining a few ideas.”

2. Currently, Hailey is working in high-end retail at Soma. She really appreciates the personal development and business lessons from her manager and mentor. Hailey is also learning about providing excellent customer service to a diverse customer base at Soma. The business has many international customers with different cultural backgrounds due to Soma’s location near the Mayo Clinic.

3. Hailey volunteers with Child Care Resource and Referral, helping them with administrative tasks and sorting children’s book donations.

4. Hailey loves animals and works at a dog kennel, Clip and Dip, for fun on the weekends. In the past, she has volunteered at Safe Haven Pet Rescue. She is a pet owner with two cats and loves watching over other people’s dogs on the weekends until she is able to get her own.

5. Hailey strives to be a positive leader. She enjoys “elevating peoples behaviors,” and takes every moment and tries to make it a positive one.

The Future for Hailey

Hailey has worked in customer service and retail since she was 15 years old. She learned from each experience, all of which contributed the knowledge and skills that she will use to move forward in her career.

While interviewing Hailey, it is easy to see that she really enjoys new experiences and can take a negative and turn it around to a positive.

Hailey also noted that she likes to “make the best out of every day.” She has created a positive attitude for her future.

Hailey’s Time at MSB

Hailey enjoys all of her business classes. She noted that she “takes everything learned from MSB and applies it to her current job to help her grow and learn.” She really enjoyed her composition and marketing classes.

She added: “I really want to stress how much I learned from Jeff Briggs in composition. I have been able to see just how much potential I have with my writing skills and I hope to apply them throughout the rest of my life.”

Hailey was honored to win the Library Research Award.

“I also took away a great deal of business knowledge from marketing and project management and know those skills will follow me far into the future,” she said.