Massage Student Makes Her Dream a Reality

Posted by on December 9, 2014

By Alex Daniels, massage therapy student

I entered adulthood and college only a month apart and it was honestly one of the most stressful but rewarding things I have ever done. I had only been 18 for a little over a month when I threw myself into my future career. Not even a year later, I would become a very different, and better, person.

My first few months of college were rough. I finished the majority of my general education classes with no noteworthy friends, then started my first massage class. Swedish massage was where I met the majority of my classmates and my instructor, Diana. I didn’t know it then, but I needed these people to get me through my experience. I made my hub at the Minnesota School of Business-Plymouth.

Getting further into my time at MSB, I had completed a number of classes and done a few volunteer service activities that changed me for the better. I also became a better student, massage therapist and person. I started to value my free time so much more. I learned more about myself and others, which helped me improve my skills because I adopted healthy habits from those around me.

I got assignments done with so much more ease than I did in high school, because I had a new and better influences. I learned how to communicate with others and accept others for who they are, no matter how different we may be.

My environment centered on health and improvement, which helped me remove outside toxins from my life. My experience in school and my abilities became so much better. I still had my slip-ups, like we all do, but I got it done and that’s what mattered most to me. My friends and family noticed my improvements on myself through all types of situations.

My life as a student has never changed me as a person so drastically before. I have never cared so much for others — and more importantly, for myself — in my whole life. Doing things for others is important, but doing things for yourself is just as important. My life and my success are mostly due to those around me during my massage therapy program at MSB.