Getting Down and Dirty with Veterinary Technology

Posted by on December 2, 2014

Area high school juniors and seniors with an interest in a veterinary technology degree had a great opportunity to observe the basic duties and responsibilities of a Certified Veterinary Technician (CVT) at the Minnesota School of Business-Rochester campus.

Getting down with surgery

A CVT’s primary role is to assist a veterinarian in all procedures and surgeries. The students and parents had the opportunity to:

Veterinary Technology Program

Prospective vet tech students observing a procedure.

• Observe a real spay or neuter performed by the resident veterinarian and CVT.
  • View anesthesia practices.
  • Survey surgical preparation, sterilization and post-operative care.

The prospective students enjoyed seeing current vet tech students taking part in the procedures.

Andrew, a high school senior starting vet tech classes in July, said that seeing the surgeries was his favorite part of the day.

Ashlee, a senior at Randolph High School, said, “My favorite thing about the day was just being able to see all the different things that I will get the chance to do and be a part of in the future.”

Getting your hands dirty

The prospective students also had some hands-on experiences, including:

• Participating in basic lab procedures.
  • Inspecting real samples of blood, tissues and other common disorders under a microscope.
  • Learning about small animal anatomy.

Connecting, observing and learning

The students had the opportunity to connect with current students and faculty in the vet tech program while observing and learning about the responsibilities of a CVT.

“I chose to enroll I the vet tech program at MSB because it’s relatively close to home, it’s affordable, and most of all, I like how hands-on the program is,” Ashlee added. “I chose to enroll in High School Advantage because I can get a head start on exit year for free.”

Katelyn, another prospective student, added what she enjoyed most about the day: “Seeing all the hands-on projects. I liked how there were students doing the surgeries that we watched; it shows that one day that we could be doing that.”