What Do College Students, Second Graders and Financial Literacy Have in Common?

Posted by on November 18, 2014

The answer is… Junior Achievement!

MSB-Blaine students with instructor Julie Kresh at Turtle Lake Elementary School

For their applied learning project, students in Julie Kresh’s professional communication class at Minnesota School of Business-Blaine are working with second graders at Turtle Lake Elementary School to teach them about financial literacy.

More specifically, they are teaching them about these five topics: owning a business, hiring workers, products and services, how people earn money and managing funds.

With three of the five lessons behind them, and two more to go before the end of the quarter, the students wanted to share their thoughts on the experience so far. The project is made possible through Junior Achievement of the Upper Midwest.

Moriah Prange in the massage therapy program said, “I have really enjoyed volunteering with Junior Achievement! This experience was both stretching and fulfilling. I am glad to have had this opportunity to inspire the children that I worked with.”

Charlene O’Keefe in the paralegal program said, “The students are so excited and eager to learn something new. It’s been very rewarding to work with them.”

KC Freiermuth in the veterinary technology program said, “This experience has been fun, enlightening, and so worthwhile! Every time I participate in Junior Achievement I learn more about myself through the children, which is something I hope to continue after college on my own time!”

“I am in the veterinary technology program and originally couldn’t see how Junior Achievement would help in that career,” said Karie Bartlett. “Now I see that it has taught me more about how to communicate with younger people and that is a big deal considering that many pet owners have children that come with to the vet clinic. I am surprised to be able to say that this experience has been fun and enlightening.”

Haley Snyder in the vet tech program said, “Junior Achievement is an awesome way to get to work together as a team. Working with the kids through Junior Achievement is my favorite part of the experience. Teaching kids different things gives me feelings of self-accomplishment. Teaching these kids through Junior Achievement has really made me wonder what they will grow up to be, as professionals.”

“This project has been a surprise,” said Eric Van Cleve in the paralegal program. “It is amazing to see the children look at us with wonder for what they are going to learn next. I think this will end up being great, not only for the children but for me as well.”