Online Staff Support Those in Need this Winter

Posted by on November 6, 2014

The blistery winds of a winter in Minnesota can freeze a person to the core. However, for some families in the metro area, buying parkas and winter coats to keep them warm isn’t an option. That’s where the employees at the Minnesota School of Business-Online division decided to step in and help.

I, Serena Franken, a recent Master’s of Business Administration graduate and current community manager, was inspired to start a collection of coats after the success of last year’s drive. In fact, I even had a few employees wondering when or if we could hold another drive! So, I sprang into action.

One Warm Coat is an organization that facilitates the collection and donation of winter coats in and around the Minnesota metro area. Through their site, I was able to obtain collection bins, flyers, posters and even stickers to help create awareness around the collection efforts. Next, I chose a local charitable organization that was in need of coats.

Having worked with a women’s shelter last year, I felt a special connection with Wayside Women’s Supportive Housing organization located in St. Louis Park, MN. I think the diversity in our own workforce, coupled with the fact that we have several women with children who work in our office, made it seem like the perfect fit and I knew they’d appreciate our support.

I never looked back from there.

During my two week collection drive, I was able to encourage my co-workers to donate their gently used coats to this amazing cause. And, after it was all said and done, I had collected over 50 lbs. (approximately 20 winter coats) for the Wayside Women’s Supportive Housing organization.

Through our charitable giving efforts, the staff at the Online division has supported 8 different organizations in our community just this year alone. And, I am looking forward to continuing our efforts to give back in our community in the upcoming New Year.