Paralegal Program Graduate Spotlight: Liz Stigall

Posted by on September 18, 2014

We stopped by Brooks, Cameron & Huebsch, PLLC for a quick chat with paralegal program graduate Liz Stigall to learn more about her new job. Read on to find out what Liz gets to do every day now that she has graduated from Minnesota School of Business-Blaine (MSB).

Paralegal program graduate Liz Stigall

Why did you choose to attend MSB?

MSB has campuses close to home and it was convenient for me. The small classes were also attractive, and I liked that the teachers had real-world experience. I came in for a tour and remember that the admissions representatives and faculty made me feel comfortable. They were all super friendly.

What did you like best about going to school here?

I enjoyed the students and teachers, and I thought the staff was helpful as far as mock interviews and getting prepared for the world of work. Other paralegals I know didn’t have anyone to help them with job interviews at their colleges. It was also nice that I was part of a group of students that took most of the classes together, and we got to know each other pretty well.

Why did you pick the paralegal program?

I chose the paralegal program because I was always interested in the legal field and thought this career would be a good fit for my personality and would allow me to use my strengths.

Tell us about your current position.

I am a patent prosecution paralegal at Brooks, Cameron and Huebsch, PLLC. There are about 25 attorneys and 10 paralegals and other staff members, which makes us a mid-sized firm. We work with large technology companies to help get their inventions patented. A typical day for me would include filing patent applications with the U.S. Patent and Trademark office, processing the prosecution and appeals process, maintaining docket for multiple attorney clients, correspondence, sending emails to clients regarding new files and patent application status due dates. I also have communication with the U.S. Patent and Trademark office, and I prepare draft responses for the attorney to look at and respond to.

What is the best part of your job?

My job is both challenging and rewarding. I enjoy helping clients and feel appreciated when I get a thank you email from them. I communicate with inventors that work for big companies and they are excited about their inventions, and it is nice to help them through the patent process.

What is the best advice you have for prospective students to be successful in school and with finding a job?

While you’re in school, expose yourself to as much technology and learning as possible including email etiquette, phone skills, docketing software, office skills and professionalism in general. We use technology every day. Also, a lot of people are qualified on paper, but in order to stand out you have to focus on being friendly and be willing to work with an open mind.  When they are hiring, they look for someone who will fit in well with the other paralegals, so let your personality show.

programs-paralegal