Throwback Thursday Advice, Part II

Posted by on August 28, 2014

It’s Throwback Thursday again and it’s time to review some more of the sage advice we’ve received over the past several months (the students, staff and guest speakers at Minnesota School of Business-Richfield are all so wise!). Off we go!

Recent graduate of the business administration program, Kareen Teague, on dressing for the job you want: “I like suits; I like how I look in suits. You feel more confident and sophisticated. It puts me in a more professional mindset. If you are in sweatpants and a hoodie, you feel lazy; but if you look the part, you feel motivated.”

Accounting grad Kristina Selting had a lot to say to current students: “Don’t second-guess yourself. If you have a plan, an idea or a dream in mind, go for it. Everyone has something they were meant to do, but people tend to second-guess their decisions. Sometimes you have to jump in head first and figure out the rest as you go along. The main thing I would stress is don’t forget to explore the opportunities on campus—service learning projects, Collegiate DECA, mock trials—it really motivated me at that time. I always felt like there was someone on my side, helping me stretch out, and I’m really glad I did.”

Caitlin Brown, a graduate of the paralegal program, advises prospective students to do their research before selecting their school: “Many students come in and don’t know what to expect. They really need to be prepared—it’s very intense. The academic advisors set a path for the students and give a lot of one-on-one attention.”

Jane Goebel, nurse administrator at St. Gertrude’s Health and Rehabilitation Center, had this to share with our nursing students: “Listen to yourself. You will be your own best guide. If you don’t love what you do, you’re selling yourself short. Find what fits for you and give it all you got.”

Local filmmaker Todd Cobery shared advice that can apply to all: “Figure out what success looks like to you. Be good at something and work really hard at it. There is an element of luck [to success], but work really hard, harder than anyone else and be passionate about it. You never know who is out there who is going to hire you.”

Esther Pabon, a soon-to-be graduate of the medical administrative assistant program, had this to say to future job applicants: “Don’t stop applying. I applied to 30 jobs in two weeks—medical administrative or medical receptionist positions—until somebody called. Tailor your cover letter for each job and address it to the person listed on the job posting.”

And finally, regional director for our network of schools, Nate Herrmann, had this advice for prospective and current students: “You get out of school what you put into it. The connections you make in school will carry you further than any textbook.”

Trust yourself, engage, network and pursue your passion: good advice for our students, and beyond.

programs-accounting