Attorney Joins MSB-Brooklyn Center as Adjunct Instructor for Paralegal Program

Posted by on August 26, 2014

One area that our organization prides itself in is that many of our adjunct instructors also serve as professionals in their field. Why is this important? Instructors who also work in their field are able to bring real-world situations into the classroom and serve as subject matter experts. For years, students have thoroughly enjoyed this aspect of their educational experience.

Adjunct instructor Ryan Kaplan

Recently, Minnesota School of Business-Brooklyn Center campus had an addition to their campus team: Ryan Kaplan. Kaplan serves as an adjunct instructor for the paralegal program.

Kaplan graduated in 1999 from Gustavus Adolphus College with a double major in criminal justice and psychology. In 1998, while attending Gustavus, he had the opportunity to study abroad for a semester at the University of Limerick, Ireland. Following graduation, he attended William Mitchell College of Law and graduated in 2005.

After law school, Kaplan started his professional career in creditor-debtor law. He said, “I knew I did not want that to define me, so I moved on to business and transactional law, first in-house with a life insurance company and then with a law firm in Brooklyn Park. Recently, I accepted a position as a contract attorney with Detector Electronics in Bloomington, Minnesota.” Kaplan has been an attorney for nine years.

When asked how his first quarter of teaching has been going, he said, “I love my class and am learning a lot as I teach. The first day was stressful, but approximately every 30 minutes, I snuck out of the classroom, curled into the fetal position, and cried to myself until my courage returned and was able to proceed.” Don’t worry, he was only kidding about that part!

Kaplan explained that so far he has really enjoyed the interaction with the students as well as being a resource for them when they need one. As far as how much he enjoys working at the MSB-Brooklyn Center campus, he replied, “My fellow staff has been very helpful if/when I have needed it. Plus, I love those red and white disc-shaped mints at the front desk.”

Welcome to MSB-BC, Ryan! We are happy to have you as a part of our team!

programs-paralegal