Throwback Thursday Advice, Part I

Posted by on August 21, 2014

In honor of #TBT (that’s Throwback Thursday to those who didn’t know!), we thought we’d review some of the best advice we’ve received here at Minnesota School of Business-Richfield (MSB) over the past year: advice to current and prospective students, and to those searching for employment. You may notice some themes emerging. Take it away!

MSB digital video and media production (DV) graduate Kyle Walczak on the importance of networking: “Focus on building relationships. The worst thing you can do is to not reach out.”

MSB graduation keynote speaker Tim Carter on what he looks for in an employee (in order): 1. Positive attitude; 2. Strong work ethic; 3. A desire to help others succeed; 4. Results. “If you do numbers one, two and three better than everyone else, you’ll get results,” Tim said.

Information technology Program Chair Richard Grieman on the importance of volunteering: “There are people who have dedicated their professional lives to making the world into a better place. Since improving the world is a notoriously unprofitable enterprise, these people are chronically short of money and resources. That’s where you come in.”

Paralegal program graduate Michael Collins on role-modeling for his child: “[I wanted] to set an example for our daughter. Both my wife and I are continuing our education on towards higher-level degrees. Parental achievement and the strive for achievement have a high impact on a child’s achievements and success later on in life.”

MSB DV grad David Crowley on how his education enhanced his career path: “It put me in contact with people I was able to network with, since media is all about who you know. These contacts have been important to spreading out and getting more jobs.”

Nursing program student Alyssa Goodew on pursuing your passion: “Find something you love and care about. That way you can give the most you can. If you don’t love it, you won’t put your heart into it.”

Business administration student Angie Averle on how to balance school and life: “If it’s a class I don’t understand, I do my homework right after class when it is still fresh in my head so I understand it better. Don’t procrastinate!”

DV program grad Leah Teravskis had this to share with students: “You are only going to get out of [college] what you put in. It is what you make of it—if you want the most out of it, put in the effort!”

Wise words that endure. Part II next week!