MSB-Richfield’s Nursing Students Get Job Interview Tips from a Sales Pro

Posted by on August 7, 2014

Students in a recent Career Capstone class were served some serious job-seeking knowledge when the business development manager for Kelly Services, Anthony Hayes, paid them a visit.

nursing

Anthony C. Hayes

Anthony told the nursing students, who are nearing graduation, that they need to have a story. When interviewing, they need to be able to be able to say more than that they want to help people. “Bend the answer around the construct of your life—open up, and make the connection to your life,” he said.

Anthony stated that multiple-person interviews are actually easier than single-person interviews: “You only have to impress one person because the other people in that group don’t know how to interview together. Entertain the ego of the person who is talking the most,” he said. Anthony described different personality types and how to appeal to each.

A student asked about sending thank you notes in follow-up to an interview. Anthony recommends an immediate thank you note, an email two days later, and a telephone call if you still haven’t heard back after three days. Anthony said that after you introduce yourself you should state, “I wanted to follow up with you about when I can start.” As Anthony put it, “If you want the job, get the job.”

Anthony told the students to own their weaknesses. He said that his weakness is that he cares too much. “I will push you, pull you and insult you to help you get what you want. I’m too passionate,” he stated.

He said that some employers will cancel interviews with other candidates if you nail your interview. He said to always ask for the job at the end of the interview: “I want to be here. When do I start?”

Anthony told the class that when he is interviewing people, he is watching for how quick the response is and where the candidate’s eyes are looking. “I want people on my team to tell me the truth all the time. I know ten minutes into an interview whether or not I’m going to hire someone,” he said.

programs-nurse-degree

Anthony said that it was fine to apply for jobs that don’t necessarily match all of the qualifications the student possesses. “Even if you don’t get the job, you have made connections and contacts. You may not get the job today, but maybe they’ll remember you two months later,” he added.

Anthony told the students to “plan, prepare, produce, profit” for each interview. He advised them to prepare answers and questions, plan their outfit and driving route to the location, produce a firm handshake and profit by landing the job.

Student Sarah Anderson said the lecture was inspiring. “Anthony is someone to look up to,” she said.

Samantha Isakson said, “He was very engaging!”

“It was awesome! It was interactive and very helpful,” said Olukemi Adeniyi-Akins.

Instructor and Director of Career Services Liz Ashantiva described Anthony as very energetic and engaging. “He challenges people to think in different ways. He uses sales-driven techniques, but the nursing students can get a lot out of the whole message of confidence. As the nurses progress in their career paths, they will be doing more business, so it is helpful,” Liz said. She added, “Especially in the helping professions, we don’t tend to market ourselves—but he helped with that.”

Anthony has spent many hours at the Minnesota School of Business-Richfield sharing his sage advice with our students, and we couldn’t be more thankful.