Alumna Profile: Massage Therapy Graduate Anna Dobis

Written by Stacey Schmitt, director of career services at Minnesota School of Business-Plymouth (MSB)

massage therapy

Anna Dobis, massage therapy program graduate

I had the pleasure to follow up with one of our 2009 massage therapy graduates, Anna Dobis. For the last four years Anna has been working at Massage Retreat & Spa in Plymouth. As Anna’s Career Capstone instructor, it has been exciting to witness her grow professionally in the massage field.

You hold an AAS degree in Massage Therapy. What drew you to this field?

I was born and raised in Texas. While in Texas I was pursuing a degree in elementary education. However, my educational plans were put on hold when I moved to Minnesota in 2007. After working in retail, I decided I wanted to go back to school. After seeing a massage therapy commercial on television, I decided to look into the Minnesota School of Business.

What are some of your memorable moments at MSB?

During my educational journey at MSB, I enjoyed the hands-on classes such as the massage clinics and performing chair massages in the student commons. The massage clinics allowed me to develop my skills and increase my confidence level. All of the instructors at the Plymouth campus were helpful, positive and encouraging.

What is your proudest achievement?

One of my proudest achievements is that I just celebrated four years at Massage Retreat & Spa. The last four years have allowed me to find my niche in this field; teaching hot stone therapy to new therapists. I am passionate about training and mentoring new therapists.

What is one of your happiest moments at Massage Retreat & Spa?

My happiest moment is when I have returning clients and seeing their results. I love working at Plymouth Massage Retreat because it is one of their busiest locations, and I enjoy building and maintaining relationships with my clientele.

What are your future career goals in the field of massage therapy?

My five year career goal is to teach massage therapy in a school while performing massages. I plan to take the massage and body work licensing exam. In addition, my dream is to open a studio in my home.

What advice would you give to prospective students considering a career in massage therapy?

Try your best and always listen to your clients needs.