MSB-Richfield’s Community Service Day, Part II

Last week we shared some thoughts from Minnesota School of Business-Richfield (MSB) staff and faculty on their visit to Village Shores Senior Community for our annual Community Service Day. This week we hear from more MSB staff who volunteered at Feed My Starving Children (FMSC) in Chanhassen, Minnesota.

Community Service Day

MSB-Richfield volunteers in action

FMSC is a nonprofit organization committed to feeding hungry children. The approach is simple: children and adults hand-pack meals specifically formulated for malnourished children, and they ship these meals to nearly 70 countries around the world. FMSC has several locations in Minnesota, Illinois and Arizona. They even have a MobilePack program that can bring the packing event to you.

The packing session began with a short informational presentation on the mission of the charity and instructions on packing. Volunteers then headed in to wash their hands before entering the packing room.

MSB staff positioned themselves around the packing stations and went to work. They had about two hours to fill, seal and box as many nutritious (rice, soy, dehydrated vegetables, vitamins and minerals) food packs as possible. A healthy spirit of competition quickly developed against the other volunteer groups.

For two hours straight—no rest breaks, no sitting down—MSB staff worked diligently. At one point, a staff member of FMSC tasked with making sure the teams had empty boxes to fill, remarked on our group: “You guys are rocking it!” The boxes were flying off the table.

The record set by any single crew in a single session at FMSC in Chanhassen was packing 39 boxes of food: MSB-Richfield packed 38 (so close)!

Community Service Day

We care!

In total, the session yielded 33,480 meals for needy children around the globe. This will feed 92 children for a year. We produced a total of 155 boxes of food valued at $7,366. The average FMSC volunteer produces one box of food per session: MSB-Richfield staff and faculty averaged 2.375 boxes of food per volunteer! The session concluded with inspiring photos and stories of individual children FMSC meals have helped thrive.

MSB Admissions Coordinator Natalie Washnieski had this to say about her experience: “I liked doing a group activity outside of work. It was a way to get to know coworkers in a different environment. I actually had no knowledge of [FMSC] or what they did beforehand—it was pretty amazing what we did and how many meals we packed!”

Academic Coordinator Patrick Shay said that he enjoyed the feeling of assisting others. “I liked doing something that made me feel like I was helping someone else on a global level. We do service learning for students, but it was cool for us as staff and faculty too. Our Community Service Day is a good way to show that we care: that’s our motto—not just for our students, but for our community,” he stated.

Finally, Admissions Representative Karen Miller said this: “Volunteering makes me feel good. I am helping someone I don’t know—I don’t know who they are or where they live, but I am doing my small part in helping them. It is impressive that the Myhre family actually supports us in taking a day from our busy schedules to help others less fortunate.”

Once again: showing that our network of colleges is not only invested in our students, but also our communities. Globe Education Network’s commitment to volunteerism is vital to our “We Care” motto, and we are already looking forward to next year’s Community Service Day!