Alumni Spotlight: Criminal Justice Grad Jamie Thayer

Albert “Jamie” Thayer graduated from Minnesota School of Business-Blaine in June with a Bachelor of Science degree in Criminal Justice. Jamie was able to secure a position as a part-time juvenile probation officer before graduating. Working with juveniles is exactly what Jamie set out to accomplish and is enjoying his work. We spoke with Jamie about his experience at MSB-Blaine.

Jamie Thayer with fellow graduate Jessica Ackerman and MSB-Blaine Criminal Justice Program Chair Joe Vanasse

Why did you decide to attend MSB?

My decision to attend MSB was based on class times and being able to be flexible with my classes. It also gave me a wider door for possible career choices, more than any other school near where I live.

What inspired you to choose the criminal justice program?

I have always had an interest in criminal justice, and after looking at some the job fields I was interested in, a degree in criminal justice was important for getting into the field.

Tell us about your educational experience.

At first, getting back into the swing of being in classes again, after nearly 30 years of not being in a classroom, was different. It got easier after I settled in and got back into the flow. I had some very interesting and good instructors, most being younger than me, but I did enjoy each instructor and their willingness to help me.

What was your childhood dream job?

I wanted to be a professional baseball player. What young kid doesn’t want to play professional sports?

How do you define success?

I define success as loving what you do and getting paid to do it…when the alarm clock wakes you up every morning and you cannot wait to get to work, because you love it that much.

What do you enjoy doing in your spare time?

Well considering my spare time was devoted to school work the past couple of years, I haven’t had much of it. Now, I love to be around my wife and two boys. I enjoy being outdoors; I am a hunter and fisherman. I am getting back into martial arts, and hope to get my black belt in 2015.

What motivates you?

My motivation is my two boys. I want them to see how important an education is. And I hope to maybe one day change some young person’s life, maybe just by giving them sound advice, or just by listening to them.

What’s the best advice you been given?

Never be afraid of failure… accept it, learn from it and move forward. If you let failure become a fear, you may never advance or achieve your goals.

What advice would you give current students at MSB?

Network! Volunteer in your career field; gain as much knowledge about your field and whenever you can, practice interviewing skills, and never be afraid to ask for help.

Anything else you would like to add?

Pursue your dreams. Do not sit back and, in 30 years from now, wish you had done it. Do it now. Don’t settle for second best. Be true to yourself and don’t let others lead you down the wrong path. Failure may occur…pick yourself up, dust yourself off and move forward. Make sure you have time for relaxing and enjoying the fruits of your labor.