Alumni Spotlight: Criminal Justice Program Graduate Jessica Ackerman

From student, to student worker, to Safety and Security Coordinator at Minnesota School of Business-Blaine, to corrections officer, Jessica Ackerman has worked hard to gain professional experience while attending MSB to complete her criminal justice degree. We caught up with Jessica to ask her some questions about her experience at our school.

Jessica Ackerman celebrating with her loved ones after graduation.

Why did you decide to attend MSB?

I looked at this school because it was close to my house. The moment I walked into the school, I felt like I was part of a family. It is hard to explain, but I felt as though I belonged there.

What inspired you to choose your program?

It was a joke with my friends that I would be a good prison guard. I got to thinking about it, did some research and decided to go for it.

Tell us about your educational experience.

I had some amazing instructors: Laura Talvitie, Chief Gerdes (R.I.P), Marien Fernandez-Paris, and so many others who made me believe I can finish my schooling and start my career—I just need to believe in myself.

The Criminal Justice program was/is small at Blaine, and I am truly thankful for that. I started with some great students and ended with them as well. Thanks to the great admissions staff (Brandon, Robin and Jessica) I had great encouragement to complete my degree.

What is your dream job?

I would like to be a probation/parole agent for the state or lieutenant at a corrections facility.

How do you define success?

Being at a point in your life when you can look at the goals you set and realized that in one way or another, you have completed at least one of them.

What advice would you give to current students at MSB?

Take it seriously, but remember yourself along the way. Don’t lose yourself in your studies.

Anything else you would like to add?

I am thankful for all the guidance and support I have received throughout my experience at MSB, and I am proud to say I am a graduate of Minnesota School of Business with a Bachelor of Science degree in Criminal Justice.