Alumni Spotlight: Josh Johnson

Posted by on June 17, 2014

Josh Johnson is a graduate of the medical assistant program at Minnesota School of Business-Blaine (MSB). He is currently working as a certified medical assistant at Tria Orthopaedic in Bloomington, Minnesota. Josh works in the Acute Injury Clinic, which provides​​​ same-day appointments for acute bone, joint, ligament and muscle injuries. We caught up with Josh to find out what life is like after graduation.

MSB medical assistant program graduate Josh Johnson

Why did you decide to attend MSB?

MSB was the first school I looked at. I met with Jessica Hamre, admissions representative at MSB-Blaine, and felt very comfortable right away. The option to take some classes while in high school (High School Advantage) was also great.

What inspired you to choose the medical assistant program?

Medicine became an interest of mine during the middle of my senior year of high school. I was leaning toward a career in the automotive industry before making the decision to go into medicine. Starting as a medical assistant was the best option for me, and has allowed to me explore many different paths I can take for my future.

Tell us about your educational experience.

I graduated from the medical assistant program from the MSB-Blaine campus. I completed my externship at Health Partners Specialty Center in St. Paul, Minnesota. I spent time in rheumatology, endocrinology and travel and tropical Medicine. It was a really good experience, and I learned a lot.

How do you define success?

I define success as setting and reaching personal and career goals. If you’re able to provide for yourself and enjoy what you do, I think you are a successful individual.

What do you enjoy doing in your spare time?

Outside of work and school, disc golfing is my life. It helps with anxiety and allows me to clear my mind. And it’s the best sport in the world!

What motivates you?

In my professional life, I try to be the best at what I do.

What is the best advice you’ve been given?

The best advice I received was from Stephanie O’Malley, medical assistant program chair at MSB-Blaine. She has been great at motivating me throughout my program and into my externship. If I had to point to one specific piece of advice, it would be “to always smile.” It’s easy to do and can open so many opportunities. Make a great impression!

What advice would you give to current students at MSB?

My advice to current students would be to network now and take advantage of every opportunity. Internships and externships are an incredible opportunity.

Anything else you would like to add?

Smile and nod! You won’t know everything going into a new job. You will make mistakes. Learn from them!