For MSB Vet Tech Students, Friendship is Key

Posted by on June 13, 2014

You wake up in the morning and start to get ready for your first day of college. You start your morning routine out the same as you have in the past. As you grab your coffee to head out the door, you are suddenly struck with a nervous feeling. “Will they like me?” “What if I get lost?” “Will my teachers be nice?” These thoughts start to race though your mind.

For some, college is no big deal; you just finished high school and have come to continue your education, while others have been out of school for a few years and are unsure what to expect when they walk through the door.

Minnesota School of Business-Shakopee, Veterinary Technology

Recent veterinary technology grads…and friends

It is no different for many of the students that enroll in the veterinary technology program at the Minnesota School of Business-Shakopee (MSB) campus. The students have come from many different walks of life to pursue a dream of helping animals.

For some students, making new friends and fitting in comes naturally. However, for others it can be a struggle. Many of the students who come to our program do not know any of their classmates when they first start, but they come to follow their dreams anyway.

Some students were nervous when starting. Nicole Nielsen said, “I was a little nervous that the other classmates wouldn’t like me.”

Starting out in a new place was something that wasn’t comfortable for her, but she also said, “It was only a few weeks before I had new friends in class and was able to work together as a team.”

Making friends in class is something that comes easier than most think and really helps with the program.

Brittney Voelker said, “The people in your classes are going to be with you throughout the entire time you are in school. Make friends with them because you cannot learn and grow without them.” Befriending your classmates is a great way to ensure that you all succeed in your program.

programsprograms-vet-tech

When talking about some of the friendships that she made while in school, Michelle Dirks said, “I loved that I went through my school career there with the same girls. We watched each other grow, helped each other out whenever we were in need, and graduated with one another.”

Bonding with your classmates can really help you out once you graduate, as it’s comforting to have friends who understand the ups and downs of being a veterinary technician. Creating these friendships seems to come naturally with the small class sizes at MSB.

Sarafina Claeys said, “Overall it was a great experience to work so closely with students and instructors; it was such a comfortable and encouraging learning environment.”

Many of the friendships created during the time spent as a student continue long past graduation. Being in the veterinary field is a small world, and it’s nice to have ties to many different areas. Shana Lemmenes said, “I am lucky enough to have stayed in contact with a few classmates and former teachers, and it is so great having a group of friends that understand your day at work and isn’t grossed out by the idea of parasites!”

Sean Kirn said, “I do talk with my classmates still, and it’s some of the funniest memories I have. I’m so glad to have met them.”

Starting a new career path in life can be a frightening decision, but knowing that this is the time that you can find and create new friendships can help ease the stress. Bonding with your classmates not only will help you succeed in school, but it will give you lifelong friends who understand just what you went through to get where you are today. They will also be there to reminisce about the “good old days” of school.