Alumni Spotlight: Vet Tech Graduate Angela Kesler

Posted by on June 6, 2014

When you think of a successful student, a variety of things may come to mind. Good grades, extracurricular activities, getting a job in your career field. This is exactly what Angela Kesler did during her time at Minnesota School of Business-Lakeville (MSB).

Angela speaking at winter graduation

Angela graduated winter quarter 2014 with her Associate in Applied Science in veterinary technology. Although Angela’s journey didn’t begin at MSB-Lakeville, she came to this campus hopeful and ready to complete her degree.

While in school, Angela worked at Banfield Pet Hospital in Eagan for nine months, then left to complete her externship at a mixed practice in southern Minnesota because it was closer to home. She was the president of MSB-Lakeville’s Student Chapter of the National Association of Veterinary Technicians in America (SCNAVTA) club  as well as a strong student and program advocate. Angela organized multiple fund raising events as well as a vaccine clinic and spay/neuter clinic hosted on campus last year.

During the last few weeks of college, she applied to 22 open positions within the industry, interviewed at almost a dozen and was offered a position with a small animal clinic in Brooklyn Park called Compassionate Care Animal Hospital.

Angela was also selected to represent the campus as the student speaker at graduation.

When asked what helped fuel her success, Angela said, “The teachers here don’t see their students as just a part of their job, but instead measure their success with our success. They have always pushed me to be the best that I can be and have given me the knowledge and skills I will need to be an amazing veterinary technician.  Whether it was Dr. Hutchins quizzing me on my pharmacology any time I told her about something we found in another class, Nikki Wagner teaching me how to work around my weird allergy when it came to things in the lab, or Nicole Neimann sitting with me and cram studying before most of our test these last few quarters. They helped me find the confidence and abilities in myself.”

programsprograms-vet-tech