Student Spotlight on Applied-Learning: Chasing Dreams, Pow Wows and Furballs

Posted by on June 3, 2014

Minnesota School of Business-Blaine (MSB) veterinary technology student Tahsheena Hurd took her skill set to the streets to educate the public on the importance of spaying and neutering for pet population control.

Vet tech student Tahsheena Hurd

In tandem, Hurd illustrated what it looks like to succeed after taking the leap of faith to pursue a degree and the career of her dreams. She was fortunate enough to procure a booth at Osseo’s 19th Annual American Indian Education Day; a Pow Wow that is held at Osseo Junior High School.  The goal for the American Indian Education day is to educate the public about Minnesota Indian history, while providing encouragement and pathways to pursue higher education.

Tahsheena is a living, breathing example of what happens when someone makes the decision to pursue the career of dreams by finding herself on the doorstep of MSB-Blaine. Hurd was able to model what taking the leap of faith to pursue her goals looks like, undoubtedly, impacting those who may have considered the idea as well.

For her applied learning project, Tahsheena provided education and resources within a brochure she designed, which illustrated information for VeTouch, Kindest Kut, MNSNAP and the Pet Project, as well as SIRVS, which provides veterinary services to reservations in Minnesota. Often, these organizations assist with services and vaccinations for pet-parents with low or fixed incomes.

Tahsheena had this to say about her experience, “I learned I love communicating with the community. I love informing people of helpful services. I love everything about my new career and would like to do more booths at other Pow Wows to continue to help educate parents of four-legged children. If I could change one thing about my project, it would be to have even more resources for people. I encourage everyone in the vet tech program to do a service learning project; it is fun and you learn a lot!”