Alumni Spotlight: Blake Bergeson Networks His Way into a New Career

Posted by on May 14, 2014

Minnesota School of Business-Plymouth (MSB) alumnus Blake Bergeson was recently promoted from a support counselor to an HR recruiter at Genesis Group Homes in Brooklyn Park, Minnesota. He graduated in December with a bachelor’s degree in business management. I recently caught up with Blake for a quick Q & A.

business management

Blake Bergeson, MSB-Plymouth business management graduate

Why did you choose to attend Minnesota School of Business-Plymouth?

I first learned of MSB through one of my friends. I had gone to other institutions prior to MSB, and I did not get the same type of services. MSB offers small class sizes, tutoring, supportive and caring instructors and one-on-one attention.

I graduated in 2011 with my Associate of Applied Science degree in sales and marketing. I enjoyed my time at MSB, so I re-enrolled in the Bachelor of Science in business management and graduated in 2013.

Tell me a little bit about your current job.

In 2011, I started working at Genesis Group Homes as a support counselor. As a support counselor, you work with people who have special needs. This was a great job while going to school because they were flexible with my school schedule.

In March 2014, I was promoted to HR recruiter. I manage the onboarding process, market job opportunities by participating in career fairs, making connections with colleges and advertise job openings online. My goal is to begin getting involved in public relations and event planning through community outreach. We want to raise money for charitable organizations in the community.

What is the best part about working as a Recruiter for Genesis Group Homes?

As a recruiter, I meet new people every day. I enjoy prospecting and building connections by networking with local colleges.

How did you transition from a support counselor into recruiter?

Shortly after graduation, I contacted the resident director to express my interest in recruiting. Although there were no openings at the time, I also contacted the executive director to inquire about future opportunities. Since I just graduated with my Bachelor of Science degree, I thought it was the perfect time to put myself out there and network my way into a new role.

What do you look for on a resume?

Job stability and accountability. Applicants who have held multiple positions are at a disadvantage. Be prepared to explain why you have held several jobs.

Is Genesis Group Homes currently hiring?

Genesis Group Homes specializes in providing supportive living services for individuals with developmental disabilities. We are currently hiring for part-time direct support professionals and human resources and accounting interns. Students that are interested may apply online at or contact Stacey Schmitt in career services.

What advice do you have for current students?

My advice is to work while you are going to school so you gain real-world experience. Juggling a job and school taught me how to be self-disciplined.

Submitted by Stacey Schmitt, director of career services at Minnesota School of Business-Plymouth