What Do You Want to Be When You Grow Up?

Posted by on May 8, 2014

What do you want to be when you grow up? It’s a question asked to many children that seems so simple until you stop to really think it through. For some the decision is easy, and it involves graduating from high school and pursuing a college education in the field of their choosing. For others it is a complex decision of what to do with their life and where do they see themselves in five or ten years. These are all thoughts that crossed the minds of many of Minnesota School of Business-Shakopee’s (MSB) veterinary technology students.

vet tech program

Vet tech student Ashley Lochli and dog

Alumni of the program were asked, “What helped you make the decision to become a veterinary technician?” Erica Jensen said, “I tried going to school to be a veterinarian, but it was too much for me. A coworker became a technician, so I figured I could do it too.”  Another alumnus, Ashley Lochli, said, “I grew up with animals and have known since I was eight that I wanted a job with them.  At 11, I knew I wanted to be a veterinary technician.”

It’s not a decision that comes easy for some. Being a veterinary technician is often a career choice that comes from a love and passion for animals, but also as a second choice to being a veterinarian. Rebecca Gerold stated, “I also started towards the path of school to be a veterinarian, but I am not a book learner and felt I wasn’t going to get far because of it, so I switched and it was the best decision of my life.” Technicians have amazing career opportunities available once they make the decision to follow their dreams to work with animals.

Being a veterinary technician is a life-changing experience for many and has turned into a job of their dreams. When asked, “What would be one piece of advice you would give to someone thinking about coming to Minnesota School of Business to be a veterinary technician?” Ashley Lochli answered, “The instructors are really great and provide lots of help if you need it.”  Another graduate, Michelle Dirks, said, “The teachers are awesome and being able to learn hands on how to do things is amazing!” To sum up, the passion that many of our graduates have for the field can be hard to put into words.

When answering about the piece of advice she would give, Julia Herzan had an in-depth response. She stated, “I would inform a future student that the experience at MSB is wonderful. The teachers and students are very inspirational and positive to be around. The amount of effort one puts into school will reflect on you when working in the field. The veterinary technician career is very rewarding/difficult/and mentally draining,” Herzan said.

vet tech program

Vet tech student Julia Herzan

“One who wants to pursue this career needs an infinite amount of motivation and dedication. This job is not even close to snuggling puppies all day. If someone wants to join this career path because they love cute animals as there sole purpose, it’s not a good fit. I would recommend working in a veterinary hospital prior to attending school. There is definitely room to grow in this career path but it takes a lot of personal time and commitment to succeed. If one is looking for a journey through their career filled with every emotion one can think of, you should become a CVT. Personally, I love it—bad days and good,” Herzan said.

Deciding what college to attend and what career path to choose may not be a simple decision. But if you follow your heart, you can find a career that you truly love.