Faculty Spotlight: Math Instructor Cassidy Kist

Posted by on April 25, 2014

Minnesota School of Business-Shakopee (MSB) recently decided to start up a monthly spotlight of a staff or faculty member. The employee we are focusing on this month is Cassidy Kist. Cassidy has been teaching at the MSB-Shakopee as an adjunct for over a year. She has been teaching all the math courses offered here at Shakopee. We had a chance to ask Cassidy a few questions about herself.

minnesota school of business

MSB-Shakopee instructor Cassidy Kist

What is your educational background?

I attended Loyola University Chicago. Not to be confused with the one in New Orleans, or the one in California, or the one in Maryland. I decided to study mathematics and political science while I was there. It is a strange pairing, but I liked studying two things that used completely different parts of my brain. I stayed at Loyola after I finished my bachelor’s to earn my master’s in mathematics.

I am very excited to share that I will be expanding my educational background. I have been accepted into the Ph.D. program of Educational Leadership and Policy Analysis at the University of Wisconsin-Madison and will be moving there this fall.

What do you enjoy most about teaching?

The stereotypical answer is probably to see students have that “ah-ha!” moment, but honestly, it’s true. I know math is a frustrating subject, and it’s the last thing most people want to be doing during the day or for four hours at night. Seeing the light bulb turn on makes me really happy and motivates me. Also, I like it when I hear someone say, “Oh this is fun! I never thought I’d say that.” I want to make math fun and or at least less foreign. So when I see that happening, it makes my day.

What type of work did you do prior to teaching at MSB?

I taught intro level classes at Loyola when I was finishing my graduate degree. I moved to the Twin Cities after graduation, and teaching at MSB was my first job here.

What is your most memorable experience while teaching at MSB?

I don’t think I have an overall most memorable experience, but I do have memorable experiences from each of my classes. Each class something funny happens and those stick in my mind.

The other memorable experiences have been when a student comes in at the beginning of the quarter with a goal grade. Seeing that student work hard throughout the quarter and surprise himself/herself by earning a grade above their goal has been a great experience.