Student Spotlight: Health Care Management Student Consuelo Cohen

Posted by on April 24, 2014

Consuelo Cohen is currently a student at Minnesota School of Business-Rochester in the health care management program. When asked how she became interested in the field she said, “The health care field is growing in Rochester.” In her current position in the social services field, she says, “there is room for advancement. It’s my hope to become a health care coordinator in my unit.”

health care management program

Consuelo Cohen, health care management student at MSB-Rochester

How did you find out about MSB-Rochester? What steps did you take to become a student?

I found out about MSB-Rochester from a former teacher Wanda Berg, who was my coworker at the time. I was going to get a degree in communications. I figured since I was being asked to speak at different events, I could at least make a business of it. Wanda really encouraged me.

School was not on my radar at first, but I figured that what doesn’t kill you will make you stronger. I called and made an appointment with Laura Thomas in admissions, and at the appointment, she walked me through the paperwork. Following that, I took my entry exam and a tour. Not long after, I officially became a student.

What are you learning about your program that you didn’t know prior to enrolling?

I am learning something new in every class I have taken. In each class, I have walked away with something beneficial or something to reflect on. I’ve learned a little bit more about me…just how strong I am. Women are warriors, I tell you. We can do things we never thought about doing.

programs-health-management

What has your experience been like overall in college? What stands out as a memorable moment?

My experience has been good. I have no complaints. I am a go-getter and like to get people involved, and I like to meet new students. My most memorable moment so far has been Zumba—it’s kicking my butt!

What is the biggest challenge of attending college?

The hardest part of college for me is trying to juggle time. Being a mom is a full-time job in itself. I am finding it hard to keep up with the workload of studying, working, and going to school, but I put my best foot forward and do my best. It’s not easy but it depends on what your goal is. I want my kids to be proud of their momma.

What is your favorite course?

My favorite course right now would be Film & Society. I am very interested to know the behind-the-scenes stuff that go along with movies. I’m also a movie fanatic to some degree.

Would you recommend MSB-Rochester to prospective students?

Yes, I would because of its fast paces, small classes and everyone knows everyone!

Any words of wisdom for those who are on the fence about attending college?

Make sure this is something you want to do—don’t do it because you are being made to do it. If you dive in, make sure you are ready!