National Library Week Part II: Meet Your Library Staff

Posted by on April 17, 2014

As we celebrate National Library Week, we wanted to introduce you to our knowledgeable and helpful library staff here at Minnesota School of Business-Richfield (MSB). Earlier this week, you met student workers Galen Grieman and Esther Pabon.

paralegal program

Paralegal student Daniel Grabow

Our final student worker in the library is Daniel Grabow. Daniel is pursuing his degree in the paralegal program. Daniel says he opted for this program because he’s always been interested in the law and in writing. “I thought a paralegal degree would be more useful than a writing degree,” he states.

On working in the library, Daniel says, “I love it! It’s just big enough to be resourceful yet tiny enough that I can manage it. [As a student] I’ve been using the library for over a year—I already know the place like the back of my hand. It feels good to be on the other side helping students.”

Fun tip from Daniel: MSB is part of the larger Globe Education Network (GEN) of colleges, so if our campus does not have a book a student needs, MSB can contact a sister school to have that book sent to our location.

Next we meet our illustrious campus librarian, Carol Roos. Carol has been a librarian for 13 years, having spent nearly five of those years here at MSB.

Carol explains why she decided to pursue a career in library science: “I love helping people find things, and I love researching – I thought, let’s combine the two and be a librarian! I’m very community oriented, and I like helping students find what they need.”

She adds, “What I like about working [at MSB] is my commitment to the students. My day is quite diverse, and I get to work in a variety of subject matters. I love the students: they are excited about getting their degrees, and it’s wonderful to help them with their research in a variety of areas. I enjoy helping them become critical thinkers.”

Campus Librarian Carol Roos

Carol would like more students to utilize our online library resources (instead of just Googling everything!). “I’m more than happy to introduce them to our online resources,” she says. There, students can instantly chat with a librarian Monday through Sunday.

Carol also wants to ensure students are aware of the many books available at the library to help prepare students for their career field, interviewing for jobs, resume writing and more.

Finally, Carol would like students to know about the quarterly library research award: students submit a research paper that they have written using library resources for a chance to win $150 to spend on books!

And lest we forget, the MSB library and Flash the fish gets a boost from a retired Minneapolis woman, Elyn Kir, who visits weekly to clean Flash’s tank and make sure he is healthy.

It takes a lot of talented people to keep our library running like a well-oiled machine: luckily, we have the staff to get it done!