Vet Tech Students at MSB-Rochester Offer Pets Club

Posted by on April 10, 2014

Tara Leonard has been enrolled in the veterinary technology program at Minnesota School of Business-Rochester since October of 2012. When it came time for her to join a club, she had little doubt in her mind as to what club to join. We talked with Tara and her decision to join Pets Club, and why she thinks it’s a great club for everyone.

vet tech

MSB-Rochester Pets Club examining dog.

How did you find out about Pets Club?

Amy Doherty, who is the program chair for vet tech, asked me to join and she thought it would be a great way for me to meet people. Plus I enjoy being involved in activities and helping promote causes, which the Pets Club excels at.

What positions have you held with Pets Club?

I started out working on the public relations end of the Pets Club and about a year ago, I became president.

What is a typical Pets Club meeting like?

We try to meet three times a quarter and discuss topics like fundraising, what activities we will conduct during the year, and different conventions and educational opportunities that may present themselves.

In my role as president, I try once a quarter to have lunch served at a meeting as a thank you for all that they do.

What fundraising events have you held?  

We typically hold two fundraisers per quarter: bake sales, silent auction, sloppy joe day, etc. We have also held dog washes and plan on holding another this spring. I have gone to different businesses asking for donations. We use the funds earned to give back to the humane societies we work with. We’ve donated to a little girl who has cancer; to a family who had a house fire, etc.

Why would you recommend that vet tech students should join Pets Club?

Being a part of Pets Club is a great way to meet new people and to start networking with others in the community. It also is a little boost on the resume.

If you are interested in joining the Pets Club or have questions please contact Tara Leonard or Amy Doherty at MSB-Rochester.