Taylor Metcalf Represents MSB-Rochester at State DECA Competition

Posted by on March 18, 2014

Taylor Metcalf, a business management student at Minnesota School of Business-Rochester, recently attended the Minnesota State DECA competition with his program chair Charles Martinson in Mankato, Minn. The competition took place at the Verizon Center on the 25th and 26th of February. The official name for the event was “The Career Development Conference” (CDC) which is the state event for Minnesota DECA.  DECA stands for Distributive Education Clubs of America.

Taylor Metcalf

We sat down with Taylor to ask him a few questions on what DECA is and why he enjoys attending the competitions.

What is a typical DECA competition is like?

There are two types. There is the one that is prepared: participants put together a business plan for a particular company and present it or an entrepreneurship, where a new business idea is presented. The other type is case study: participants get 30 minutes to read through the case study and prepare a presentation.

Which events in the DECA competition did you participate in?

Sales Management Meeting (a case study)—I was the manager who had to boost morale and also create a post-sale follow up system.

Retail Sporting Goods (prepared event)—I had two tennis rackets, a pack of tennis balls, and a racket bag that I had to try and sell to the judge.

How do they go about judging the competition?

Judges look for confidence, knowledge on the subject, and creativity. They have a score card with certain things they are looking for. Participants get rated on a 100 point system. Whoever has the highest score wins!

How did you place in the competition?

I received second place in both of my competitions. This qualifies me for Nationals (International Career Development Conference – ICDC) in Washington, D.C. in April.

How many years have you been in DECA?

This is my third year. I went to Nationals in Salt Lake City in 2012 and placed in the top 10 in the nation for Business Ethics. In 2013, I went to Anaheim, Calif., and got first place in the nation for Project Management.

What about DECA do you find that you like?

I like to meet the different members and see them at the events. I am a people person, so it is great! I also like to apply the skills I have learned and keep them up to date.

DECA can help all types of students—it is not only for the business-oriented students. DECA allows you to meet great connections and further yourself through different competitions and academies. Along with that it is a lot of fun!