What’s It like to Be a Medical Administrative Assistant Student? Emily Dyrdahl Shares Her Experience

Posted by on March 6, 2014

Why did you choose the medical administrative assistant (MAA) program?

I chose the MAA program because I have always wanted to do something in the medical field, and I enjoy interacting with other people, whether it is in person or on the phone.

How did you find out about MSB-Rochester?

I found out about MSB from a couple of my friends. They recommended it to me when I decided to go back to school.

Medical assistant program student, Emily Dyrdahl

What is a medical administrative assistant?

Medical administrative assistants use a variety of organizational skills, industry-relevant knowledge and technology to efficiently manage the front office of a healthcare service provider.

What is your favorite class and why?

My favorite class would be medical terminology. I enjoyed learning about the different parts of the body.

What service learning project did you complete? What was your experience like?

I completed a service learning project at the Gift of Life Transplant House in Rochester, Minn. My experience was an amazing moment for me. I met an 18-year-old girl named Shelby who has Hodgkins Lymphoma. She told me to live life to the fullest. She had such a huge smile on her face. To this day, I still check up on her and she how she’s doing. She actually told me recently she has her last chemo session coming up in a couple of weeks

What is a typical MAA student like?

A typical MAA student is someone who loves being around people. Someone who is fast paced, has great customer service, and is full of life.

Any words of advice for potential MAA students?

Stay strong and enjoy the journey! You will do great things! I have had such an amazing experience these last two quarters I have been at MSB. Loving every minute of it. Cannot wait to see what the future holds.