From Student to Teacher: Lessons in Massage Therapy and Life

Posted by on December 9, 2013

Choosing a college program and subsequent career is serious business, and Gina Falcon set her mind on both with equal passion. The massage therapy degree she earned from Minnesota School of Business-St. Cloud (MSB) has inspired both her work and life.

Falcon believes that her experiences with Crohn’s disease led her in the direction of healing massage therapy.

massage therapy program

Gina Falcon, massage therapy program instructor

After an emergency surgery and many months of intense treatment, Falcon reflects, “There were many days when I didn’t know what was worse—having the disease or the adverse effects of taking all of the medications. I am now in complete remission—medication free and have realized the effects of massage on my body as well as on others. This was my calling.”

Falcon chose MSB because it is “a renowned accredited college that by far leads the industry with their massage therapy program,” but also because she knew immediately after her admissions appointment that she “fit in.”

“I am a very driven, motivated, compassionate, and goal-oriented individual,” she said. “I saw every one of those qualities in the staff. It is because of my experience as a student here that made me want to instruct.”

Falcon graduated from MSB in 2010 with her associate in applied science degree in massage therapy. Since then, she has continued her education and earned national certification in therapeutic massage and bodywork as well as certification in oncology massage, labor/Doula massage and cranial-sacral massage.

Falcon is currently a full-time massage therapist at Ultimate Wellness Center in Becker, Minn., and an adjunct massage instructor at MSB.

Even while she was a student, Falcon dreamed of coming back to MSB to teach. “The two-to-three years of experience that I needed in the field before I could apply could not go fast enough,” she laughs.

But not just any college would do. MSB was her goal all along.

“It had to be here,” she insists. “This school, and the faculty here, made such a positive and impressionable impact on me as a student that I wanted to come back and join their wonderful team of experts.”

Falcon feels humbled by and grateful for her experience, and she hopes to share it with others.

“I have learned from the best of the best, and I value my education more today than I may have ever in the past. I am able to share my story with others, whether students, clients, or peers, and help them achieve their goals, too. No matter what obstacles they may face, or what age they may be, they can do it,” she said.

“And this is the place to do it!”