IT Program Grad, Air Force Vet Takes Off with Geo-Comm

Posted by on November 15, 2013

Information technology program graduate, Harry Acosta, served six years in the United States Air Force as a communication/navigation specialist on KC-10 aircraft before deciding to become the first person in his immediate family to attend college.

Acosta’s father is also an Air Force veteran. He met and married Harry’s mother after being stationed in the Philippines. Harry similarly met his own wife while stationed during his military

informational technology program

Harry Acosta at MSB Graduation Ceremony

service in California, and they later moved to St. Cloud, Minn. to be close to her family.

“My greatest school accomplishment,” he said, “would have to be earning my Bachelor of Science degree in Information Technology.”

Acosta says he chose Minnesota School of Business (MSB) because as a career college, “it did away with a lot of the nonessential classes that I would have had to take at other colleges.” Understanding the adult, “nontraditional” learner was a plus.

“I’ve always heard that if you were to make a career change later in life that you should choose something that you liked or had a passion for,” Acosta said. “I chose the information technology program because I’ve always worked with technology in some form or another and computers.”

A recent graduate, Acosta said that his “master plan was to be gainfully employed within the IT field either before or shortly after graduation. However, it wasn’t until my last quarter of school, and in particular the Capstone class, that I realized I wasn’t necessarily doing the things that would help me with the job market.”

Acosta credits the Capstone class and the Career Services department with helping him achieve his goal.

“I received a job offer shortly after my on-site interview with the second company I interviewed with. Being able to accept a job offer two weeks before graduation is an incredible feeling. Being able to transition from a full-time student and part-time worker to a gainfully employed husband with a bachelor’s degree who is able to support his family has to be considered a success in any person’s book.”

A tech support analyst for Geo-Comm in St. Cloud, Acosta is excited to be a part of a technology company that serves as a leading provider of geographic information and communication systems to emergency dispatch systems nationwide. 

He also finds comfort in the normalcy of his new life. “I’m looking forward to being able to do the things that my wife and I want to do and not have to worry about financial restrictions or work restrictions.”

Having his weekends free to spend with his wife, for example, seems to be a just reward for the hard years spent in school and at part-time employment.

For Harry Acosta, life is good.