Should I Get a Flu Shot This year?

Posted by on October 22, 2013

I know I’m not alone with this one. Every year, around the end of September or beginning of October, it’s always the same. Should I or should I not get a flu shot? Is it safe? Will it make me sick? Will it cause me to get the flu? Are the rumors of terrible side effects true? Why does my arm hurt so badly afterwards? Friends and family members have opinions to share, but how do I know what’s true and what isn’t?

Minnesota School of Business, flu shot

Janea Okoye (right) ready for her flu shot from Walgreens

For the second consecutive year, Minnesota School of Business in Blaine invited Walgreens to offer flu shots in the student commons. Students, employees and their families were invited to participate in the flu shot clinic by either supplying information for insurance coverage or $25.99 per vaccine. This year, 10 individuals received their flu shot during the on-campus event, which took place over two days—Oct. 10 and 14.

Feedback was mostly positive, especially from those who were having trouble getting into the doctor’s office to get the flu shot. Having a flu shot clinic opportunity on campus was a way for some to receive something they otherwise would not have.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), serious side effects of the seasonal flu vaccine are very rare; however, mild side effects such as soreness, headache, fever, and nausea, among others, may occur and last one to two days. The CDC also indicates that it is not possible to get the flu from the flu shot because the viruses are either killed or don’t contain virus particles. Much more information is available on the CDC website.

Although there are some individuals who should not receive a flu shot, for most of us, the flu shot is safe. So, this leads me back to my original question. Should I get a flu shot this year? Well, what are you going to do?