From the Ox’s Mouth: What It Means to ‘Do As I Say, Not As I Did’

Posted by on October 3, 2013

Minnesota School of Business-St. Cloud Summer 2013 graduates  received some unique words of wisdom from KNSI radio personality, MSB alumnus and keynote speaker Dan (“the Ox”) Ochsner. Ochsner is a radio talk show host and recent graduate of our bachelor’s degree in media business program. He gave his keynote address at the commencement ceremony held at the St. Cloud River’s Edge Convention Center.

Minnesota School of Business graduation

Ochsner delivers the keynote commencement address.

Returning to college as an adult, Ochsner believes he holds an unusual perspective.

“Spending 25 years of my adult life struggling without a degree, I feel I have unique insight on the barriers faced by those who don’t have a college education,” Ochsner said. “Sort of a ‘do as I say, not as I did’ thing. My goal was to help the graduates understand how valuable their newly earned degrees are and to never take them for granted.”

At the same time, Ochsner acknowledges that the road he took to college was not an easy one.

“I failed at college in my younger years because I found college totally awkward and uncomfortable. This time, I had perspective of time on my side. Realizing how short a few years can be helped me to focus and put my nose to the grindstone.”

The Ox has 3 Tips for Life after College:

1. Take confidence in your ability to set a goal, work hard and attain it. You’ve proven yourself by completing the program and getting your degree.

2.      2. Do not randomly choose your career. Make a careful choice of what you want from your job and then work toward that. If you want to be rich, learn about what careers will likely provide that and do it. Decide if you want to work weekends and holidays. Decide if you want to work 40 hours a week or 90. Decide if you want to be on-call at a moment’s notice or if you’d rather leave your work behind at quitting time. Also, plan for the long game. Some jobs will give you competitive pay and the luxury of being able to retire at a very young age with benefits, allowing you to start a business or do another job while still getting paid by the job from which you retired. Research all of these options before filling out your first job application.Minnesota School of Business graduation

3. Don’t take anything from anyone. Seriously. Always respect others and demand it in return.

Ochsner said that speaking to the MSB graduating class fulfilled a personal mission: to help young people realize the value of their education—that “it is the degree that allows them the opportunity to fulfill their dreams.”