Why Is This Forensic Accounting Grad Trading Tests for Tanks?

Posted by on September 27, 2013

bachelor's degree in forensic accounting

Ceresa Young

Ceresa Young took her last final exam, closing the books on her nearly three-year journey to a bachelor’s degree in forensic accounting, and becoming the first graduate of the program at Minnesota School of Business-Plymouth (MSB).

Not long after that, she was on a plane to Europe.

Young, an active duty member of the National Guard, flew out for her fifth deployment as a tech sergeant mere hours after completing her last undergraduate exam. The quarterly graduation ceremony marks the second such absence due to deployment.

“I’m disappointed I can’t be there in person to receive my degree, but I am really looking forward to going to Europe again,” Young said.

The Cleveland, Ohio, native has been a fixture on campus since she started classes in July 2011. She has held positions in the MSB-Plymouth DECA Club, worked part time at the front desk and even received student of the quarter honors.

Her career will not take any more detours, however, as she plans to take the officer’s test and, ideally, enroll in officer training. From there, she has her sights set on the Air Force Office of Special Investigations (OSI)

“The OSI is in need of accountants and other similar positions,” Young said. “They would be a great fit with my forensic accounting degree. If I can’t do that, I’m going to try to get an auditing or other accounting job, because that will help in my progress to become a forensic accountant.”

While jokingly referring to herself as a ‘guinea pig’ for leading the charge for the forensic accounting program at Plymouth, Young was happy with her decision to pursue that track.

“I was glad I chose it,” she said. “The degree will help me get to where I want to go with my career within the military.”