How One Accounting Student Created a Better Version of Herself

Posted by on September 19, 2013

We thought it’d be fun to periodically introduce you to some recent Minnesota School of Business-Richfield (MSB) graduates. Meet Kristina Selting, who graduated with her bachelor’s in accounting degree earlier this year. Kristina landed a job while she was still in school through Career Connect (the MSB student portal to job postings and employment assistance). Recently, she upgraded to a new, full-time position in the accounting field. Here, she talks about her education and how she made the most of it.

What was your educational path prior to arriving at MSB?  

Following high school graduation, I did start college but found out pretty quick that I honestly wasn’t ready. Since I was paying for it myself, I really couldn’t see the sense of continuing until I knew what I wanted to do and how I was going to do it. Looking back, I think I was there because I thought that’s what was expected of me.

What was your work history before graduating?

I started at MSB after being laid off from a sales job that I had held for 16 years. Prior to that, I worked at a few bars and restaurants and while in school at MSB, I worked in a call center. The most important thing I learned at the call center, bars and restaurants was that I did not want ‘just a job’ after I graduated. I wanted a career that I could be proud of and build my future.

How did your education enhance or change your career path?

While I was working with my sales job of 16 years, I spent the majority of that time doing a lot of accounting type activities and I found that I was quite good at it. When I was laid off, I decided that was an area of business I could excel in, but I knew that in order to be competitive I would need my degree. Earning my bachelor’s degree in accounting has opened new doors for me and motivated me to begin studying for the Certified Management Accountant certificate. I plan to begin classes for that certification in February 2014.

bachelor's in accounting degreeWhat piece of advice would you give to students considering the same degree as you? What’s your advice for students in general?

One of the most valuable things I’ve learned in life is that nothing that’s worth anything is easy. Many times, the only thing holding you back from something is yourself. If you want it bad enough, then you give it everything you’ve got until the job gets done. I have learned that sometimes there are brick walls standing in the way. I have also learned that the walls aren’t there to keep me out. Rather, they’re there to force me to figure out a way around them. In the process of earning my degree, I also earned my 1st Degree Black Belt in Tae Kwon Do, and I am currently training for my 2nd Degree. While training, working and studying, I also participated in DECA my last year of school. After earning my Black Belt, graduating with honors, being a two-time Minnesota State DECA Champion in Accounting and Finance and taking 11th place in the nation in Corporate Finance at the International DECA competition – if you think setting goals doesn’t work, you’re wrong!

What’s life been like after graduation?

I got recruited to work in finance by a company a few months before I graduated. They had found my resume on the student website and contacted me through email. While I am grateful for the experience with that company, it was a part-time position. I was recently offered a full-time position with full benefits for a different company, and I started there in August 2013.

Anything else you’d like to share:

I could not be more grateful to the staff and faculty at MSB for helping me to be a better version of myself.