‘All Around Great Student’ Working on Second Degree

Posted by on September 13, 2013

associate in applied science degree in information technologyMinnesota School of Business-Brooklyn Center is happy to highlight Michael Ullmer, our student of the quarter.  Ullmer graduated in March 2013 with an Associate in Applied Science degree in Information Technology, and he is now working on a Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice.

Andrew Kagol, director of career services, said, “Michael is the type of student that instructors love to have in class.  He is attentive and active.  He participates and contributes to the class discussions, and the opinions he provides are always valuable.”

Michelle Rivard, AVID liaison and faculty member, said, “Michael is a natural leader in the classroom, and he works well with his classmates.  I enjoy the unique perspectives and stories that he brings to our discussions due to his military background.  He is dependable, adaptable, and a hard worker.  In general, he is an all around great student.”

As student of the quarter, Ullmer’s picture is hanging near the student lounge with a short write-up.  Here is what he had to say:

Why did you choose Minnesota School of Business-Brooklyn Center?  I heard great things about the school. It was close to my house, and it offered the courses that I wanted to take.  The staff is extremely friendly, and they seemed to be interested in what I was looking for in a school.

What is your favorite thing about attending and going to class at MSB-Brooklyn Center?  Almost all of the instructors know who I am and are more than willing to stop me in the hall to ask how my break was, how my family is, and how my life is going.  They show a genuine interest in what is going on in my life.

What are your post-graduation plans/goals?  I would like to find a non-profit group that works with veterans.  I want it to be a place that needs someone to help guide their clients back into the normal world.  I have been there and am still adjusting to a non-military lifestyle, so I want to help other veterans find their place.

What are you involved with away from school?  I currently play hockey for the Minnesota Warriors.  They are a hockey team made up only of disabled veterans.  There are men and women on the team, and people have fought in Vietnam up to the most recent conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan.

If you could go on a vacation anywhere in the world, where would you choose and why?  It would not be so much of a vacation, but I would like to go on a road trip from the west coast of Canada all the way to the east coast of Canada.  Along the way, I would like to stop at all of the professional hockey rinks to watch a game.

Ullmer is hoping to graduate at the end of the Fall 2014 quarter.  We wish him the best of luck as he works on and completes his second degree with our campus!