From the Front Lines to Filmmaking: Meet David Crowley

Posted by on August 23, 2013

We thought it’d be fun to periodically introduce you to some recent Minnesota School of Business-Richfield (MSB) graduates. Meet David Crowley.

Tell us a bit about your life post-high school.

I graduated high school in 2004, and left for the army a few weeks later. After almost six years in the infantry, I got out and attended MSB’s digital video and media production program. I graduated with a bachelor’s degree in 2012. Since graduation, my education has been ongoing by networking with other working professionals and advancing my skills and learning.

Digital Video Media Production program
What kind of jobs have you had in the past?

I’ve had a job since I was 11 – starting out with a paper route and then a number of typical jobs during high school in fast food and retail. After high school I was in the army for almost six years, serving on multiple combat tours. Ever since I’ve been out, I’ve been doing freelance work as a photographer, videographer, website designer, and any number of odd jobs on film sets. I own a production company and a military prop rental and actor training company which also brings in some work.

How did your education enhance or change your career path?

It put me in contact with people I was able to network with, since media is all about who you know. These contacts have been important to spreading out and getting more jobs. This education also introduced me to the tools of the trade – cameras, post production software, how to light for various applications – any number of tasks necessary for my work.

What piece of advice would you give to students considering the same degree as you?

Know what you want to do before attending the DV program. It offers a wide training set without being able to focus too heavily on any one thing. If you know where you want to go, the faculty is equipped to guide you and the resources are there to exceed in specialization. Stay on top of studies and use them all to help shape your eventual career choice.

What’s life been like after graduation?

Even more busy. But it is gratifying to be equipped with the tools and training to work every day in my chosen career path. I’ve never stopped learning, and constantly reflect back on my instruction in MSB’s program to perform any tasks that come up in my daily work.