Alumni Update: What Kind of Job Can You Get in the Middle of the Woods?

Posted by on August 6, 2013

The third installment of our featured alumni blog series is up, and this time we’re catching up with Matt Carothers, a graduate of the Master of Business Administration program.

Master of Business Administration program

Minnesota School of Business-Online alumnus, Matt Carothers, is on the job as a busy professional in the Wisconsin forestry industry.

Matt graduated in September of 2012 and hasn’t looked back since.  As a busy professional in the forestry industry, Matt took a few minutes to fill me in on how his Minnesota School of Business-Online college education helped him earn promotions and success in his professional life.

What is your educational background like?

I was fortunate to have taken the traditional path through high school, college, and into the workforce.  Football gave me the chance to earn my B.S. degree in Forest Resource Management at Michigan Technological University.  After contemplating continuing on with a master’s there, I decided to get to work for a paper mill’s woodlands division back in Wisconsin to get some on-ground experience.  I eventually decided I wanted to undertake my MBA at Minnesota School of Business (MSB).

What was your career path like prior to enrolling in the Master’s program at MSB?

I was working full-time in the woods as an Area Forester in a job that I loved.  I set up and administered industrial logging jobs, and procured wood for my mill while working with private landowners.  Helping folks achieve their forest management goals was and still is very rewarding.   I began to realize that I had the desire to add the business side of forestry to my skillset to give myself more upward mobility in the industry.

How would you say your education changed your career path?

Mid-way through my MBA, I had the opportunity to move to a company that was looking to expand their business in the Great Lakes region.  The opportunity called for someone with an enhanced understanding of the business and economics of the forest industry.  Right before I graduated from MSB, I was promoted to an increased leadership role overseeing all operations for my company in the Lake States.  The skills and knowledge gained at MSB have given and continue to give me the tools necessary to lead and do my job effectively.

What is one piece of advice you’d give to current students enrolled in the MBA program?

Go for it.  Believe in your abilities and chase your dreams to achieve success at a high level.  It is definitely hard work, no doubt about it.  But most worthwhile endeavors are.  An MBA at MSB will give you the opportunity to open up a multitude of the doors you are pondering, and likely a few more!

So, you’re a really busy guy. What kind of things do you like to do when have some down time?

I enjoy spending time with my family and friends, distance running, competitive timber sports, paddling, playing music, hunting, fishing and trapping.