Blankets, Booties, Diapers and More: One Student Bundles Love for Babies

Giving back to our community is something the staff and faculty at the Shakopee campus of Minnesota School of Business (MSB) take pride in. Our students also exemplify our “We Care” philosophy by completing volunteer and applied learning projects with organizations nearby. For Nicolette Koehler, a medical assistant degree student, it was the local nonprofit Bundles of Love that caught her attention.

Nicolette worked with the organization through an applied learning project that coincided with her Global Citizenship class. The organization has been a favorite among students in the class in previous quarters. In her presentation following the project, Nicolette explained that the organization was founded in 1999, offering just blankets and clothes for infants, but has grown into a much larger organization that now provides much more to those in need. Bundles of Love’s mission reads:medical assistant degree

1. We provide clothing, bedding and necessities for infants in need;
2. We provide correctly sized clothing for premature infants of all sizes;
3. We provide burial garments and keepsakes for families who have suffered the loss of an infant due to stillbirth, complications of birth, or illness.

“I chose to work with Bundles of Love because I know there are a lot of people out there who are struggling to get by,” Nicolette said. “I felt infants should not have to suffer, and whatever I could do to help to make sure even just one more baby didn’t have to be cold over the long winter would be worth me giving up one Saturday morning of sleeping in.”

Through her work, Nicolette completed a variety of tasks necessary for the “bundles” of supplies to be completed. She cut, sorted and matched fabric and also helped to make hats for the children. Each bundle includes a diaper bag, jacket, blankets, hats, booties, diapers, baby wipes and many other supplies.

Nicolette explained, “I did not know how to sew, but they found many projects to keep me busy and it helped them out a lot! With me doing the little jobs meant one more person could be sewing fabric and getting a lot more done.”

We are proud of the students who continue to help Bundles of Love and other partnering organizations reach their goals. If you are interested in volunteering or learning more, please visit Bundles of Love’s website.